Total Gym?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Rubbertoe
Sophomore Member

I bought a total gym, a couple months back, but it has just been gathering dust in my garage. My question is would it be helpful in making me stronger, and a bit bigger? Or am I better off doing push ups and crunches? I have no time for the gym at the moment, and desperately need to get bigger. I am 18 and have never really aimed to improve my fitness. I am 5'7 and weigh a measly 125 LBS. My goal is 145, and I know its not going to be easy but I am willing to try. Any suggestions?

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Well your body is of the small frame, but I know how you feel (I'm 15, 5'9'', and 125). I have a speedy metabolism and the only way to gain weight is to build muscle. Weights can do alot for you: they can make your muscles more enduring, keep your in shape, make you stronger, and make you buff. Just a matter of how you use them. I'm guessing a total gym uses cable weights attached to a handle of sorts for different exercises.

Basically, to be buffer, you want to lift the most possible weight you can lift (not something you can barely lift once, but weight that you know can only lift 2-3 times), for little reps and lots of sets. So let's say you can bicep curl 45 pounds for 1 rep, you would bicep curl 35-40 for 3-8 reps and 3-4 sets. Although your total gym should be effective, it is still proven that free weights (barbells, dumbells, etc.) give results the fastest, but since you have a gym already I guess that won't matter.

Rubbertoe
Sophomore Member

So free weights help gain muscle much faster than cable weights? I heard somewhere that cable weights are bad for athletes, something to do with slow twitched muscles, that is why I was skeptical about using the total gym.

Off topic: Man, I love that quote you have in your signature. Looks like I have something to tell my teammates now, lol.

Francis8
Veteran Member

the best exercise for footballers is swimming at constant fast pace for 500 meters or however long you can go for before almost drowning (well not "drowning" but before ur reeeaaaaaally tired). it expands your lungs and helps your upper body form without strains. trust me, your stamina has an incredible increase after two or three weeks. but of course, you gotta be a good swimmer and know all the strokes and do it properly for the best results.
The testicles of a "right whale" weigh 1100 lbs each....... :o

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

I really like cable weights too, they're easier to use and less likely you can strain your muscles with. The only free weight exercises I do are for my biceps and shoulders, but I also incorporate a bit of cable weights in your exercise. I read a bit about reaction time and response time or something like that, reaction time you can build but response time you can't. Just a matter of how you do it.

Off-topic: Thanks you can find a lot of these quotes around the net.

heiky0711

I went for a workout training in gym for this week and the reason is to build my body strength as i play as a right or left winger. So i need to maintain my weight and not to get too heavy. But interestingly the gym trainer told me that as you play football, it burns a lot of calories and you'll lose the muscles shape and weight. I was thinking of playing football twice a week and the rest focus on the gym workout because i really need to build my strengths. Any suggestion guys on balancing between football and gym workout to optimise my performance :) Thanks!

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com

Rubbertoe
Sophomore Member

Does that really happen. I didn't think you could lose that much muscle just by playing football, I am no expert though. Any ideas?

heiky0711

yeah it does and in fact the trainer may not encourage bodybuilders to play football that often because it compresses the muscles which is why it makes the muscles look a bit smaller. Otherwise the muscles tend to look bigger.

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com

Rocky
Veteran Member

So free weights help gain muscle much faster than cable weights? I heard somewhere that cable weights are bad for athletes, something to do with slow twitched muscles, that is why I was skeptical about using the total gym.
amen to that, my brother.

The gym will make you bigger and stronger, but it will also make you slower, because you only practice, like you mentioned, slow twitched muscles.

You also practice slow twitched muscles when you do a distance run...

There is this new product for practicing fast twitched muscles, but I would suggest that working on acceleration, situps, pushups and swimming is good. It is even said for swimmers that weight lifting isn't good for them, because you only practice slow twitched muscles.
Just look at 50 cent. The guy would use an our to lift his arm up.

I heard that any light training would be good. I'm not so familar with this so correct me if im wrong. I also heard that there were football players that wanted to become faster but that never really became faster and they said that sometimes they felt so slow... ring any bells?

Do allot of swimming, like francis8 said.. Bruce Lee did allot of swimming, and just look at him and how his body was build on fast twitched muscles.

I suggest you take a look at Johan Cruyff and George Best too.

Zico was a skinny boy like Robinho and his weakness was his strength, so he started to practice on slow twitched muscles, which indeed made him slower and not just that, you also get tired faster because you have to run around with all that body weight of muscles.... you can be strong without being big, take a look at George best again.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

That's why you do a combination of weight training and speed training :P