Professional Fitness

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
etownfutbol
New User

Professional Fitness

Post by etownfutbol » 28 Nov 2007, 14:52

Fitness has been covered on this forum and I'm sorry if this is a bother but I feel this topic could help alot if answered seriously. Well to the topic...most of you know that seasons are ending with highschools and clubs and won't start up until Feb or whenever(not taking weightlifting into account). During this period is when most people begin to slack off on fitness and when the start of the new season comes around, it feels like your going to die. Ok, so I have 2 questions really. One, is it possible 2 get profesional fit in 3/4 months? If so/if not, what exercises and things could one do to get that fit/or get that close to being that fit? Thanks for reading this and I hope this could help out other member of the site... :D

Enok
New User

Post by Enok » 28 Nov 2007, 18:03

It's actually pretty easy to get very fit within 1-2months. Check the "training" section of this site- it has some good tips.

Good luck!

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 28 Nov 2007, 20:33

Enok wrote:It's actually pretty easy to get very fit within 1-2months. Check the "training" section of this site- it has some good tips.

Good luck!
Both of those aren't correct. It's neither easy nor possible to get "very" fit in 1-2 monthes. If this was the case then the "very fit" would be a standard a little above average (if you know what I'm saying).

There is no way that you can say professionals obtained their fitness in one or two monthes. They've worked at it for years. Granted it's easier to get it back once you have acheived it but it is impossible to obtain a high level of fitness in 1-2 monthes when you have never gotten to a high level of fitness.

Also if it was easy everyone would do it.

Etownfutbol your best bet though would be to just do the things you hate to do for fitness. There is a reason you hate to do it is because it's difficult and probably a weak point for you. Now obviously don't exclusively do it but incorporate it strongly into your routine.

What do you think your weak points are in your fitness?
Strength
Anaerobic
Aerobic
Etc.

Perhaps we can help more if we know this and what type of equipment you are able to access.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

etownfutbol
New User

Post by etownfutbol » 28 Nov 2007, 23:44

Thanks Icy...yea so im available 2 a field of course, treadmill, and the basics like jumprope, ladder, and hand weights. And to reply to my weak points, it's probably overall endurance, like not being able 2 last a full 25 min at a time(I play right outside mid). And what made me post this was I've been wathching how players like messi and tevez can run forever and not get really winded(to an extent). I have a couple months and would like any QUALITY exercises or routines that could help. I know the basic like suicides and fartleks will help, but Id like 2 try some different thing.....thanks

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 29 Nov 2007, 00:01

I think the thing you'll get the most out of are mid-distance intervals. An example (there are infinite possiblities!) would be:

2x 800m
4x 400m
3x 200m

With a set duration of rest time after each one. The good thing is though as you become better at it you can either reduce the rest time OR start timing yourself and try to be a certain time each time.

While that would be good at first a more torturous way (and beneficial) would be to add in some body weight exercises to such as push ups, squats, lunges, and burpees. After each one you can add them just to fatigue even parts that wouldn't normally get too fatigued from running. It's much more difficult mentally to run when more of your body is difficult but if you can do it without people around it will be easier with people.

Also the jump rope can be a fun addition also. Do things like 20 double unders (1 jump - 2 rope spins under you) then go into body weight exercises, rest, and repeat. After each set you should always have some rest so you can keep going at a fast pace. There is no reason to do it at a sluggish pace. As you advance though you can slowly reduce the time you can rest.

Do you have any specific questions you'd like answered? I feel as though I am just going to ramble on if I don't have some more specific questions. haha
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

etownfutbol
New User

Post by etownfutbol » 29 Nov 2007, 01:57

Thanks Icy..that helps alot. I guess I'll go and do some running right now then...

Enok
New User

Post by Enok » 29 Nov 2007, 19:55

Icy wrote:
Enok wrote:It's actually pretty easy to get very fit within 1-2months. Check the "training" section of this site- it has some good tips.

Good luck!
Both of those aren't correct. It's neither easy nor possible to get "very" fit in 1-2 monthes. If this was the case then the "very fit" would be a standard a little above average (if you know what I'm saying).

There is no way that you can say professionals obtained their fitness in one or two monthes. They've worked at it for years. Granted it's easier to get it back once you have acheived it but it is impossible to obtain a high level of fitness in 1-2 monthes when you have never gotten to a high level of fitness.

Also if it was easy everyone would do it.

Etownfutbol your best bet though would be to just do the things you hate to do for fitness. There is a reason you hate to do it is because it's difficult and probably a weak point for you. Now obviously don't exclusively do it but incorporate it strongly into your routine.

What do you think your weak points are in your fitness?
Strength
Anaerobic
Aerobic
Etc.

Perhaps we can help more if we know this and what type of equipment you are able to access.
I wrote that post in a hurry and worded it wrongly.

It DOES take years to build up the level of fitness to play at professional level (although it is definitely possible).

However, getting aerobically fit only takes 4-6 weeks so that the thread starter does not need feel like he is "going to die".

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 02 Dec 2007, 01:35

I don't mean to challenge you right after Icy, as I'm sure that's the last type of reply you want to have, but I would like to add that being aerobically fit will not help much (but you'll still see some improvement) without any anaerobic training. Soccer/Football is far from a continuous pace sport, it's lot's of mixed distances at varying paces, so the best way to get fit is to keep that idea in mind with your training.

Again, that's just a statement, you don't need to justify your knowledge because you're right that he wouldn't feel like he's dying if he's aerobically fit, which can take 4-6 weeks.

Enok
New User

Post by Enok » 02 Dec 2007, 15:06

Soccer4Life wrote:I don't mean to challenge you right after Icy, as I'm sure that's the last type of reply you want to have, but I would like to add that being aerobically fit will not help much (but you'll still see some improvement) without any anaerobic training. Soccer/Football is far from a continuous pace sport, it's lot's of mixed distances at varying paces, so the best way to get fit is to keep that idea in mind with your training.

Again, that's just a statement, you don't need to justify your knowledge because you're right that he wouldn't feel like he's dying if he's aerobically fit, which can take 4-6 weeks.
That's fair enough, Soccer4Life. I thought his post was rude at first but maybe it wasn't intended to be.

And I totally agree, anaerobic training is definitely needed for football :)

I actually felt a good improvement within the first 3weeks or so, so that seems to be a very trainable quality as well.