One of the most difficult things I've had to go through

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
ajc
The Philly Flyer

This past monday during my first high school game of the season, 20 minutes in, I made a cut and my knee bent inside awkwardly. I heard a loud crack and collapsed in pain. It turns out I completely ruptured my ACL. I'll have surgery in a month once the swelling goes down, spend a few weeks on crutches, and then have rehab and therapy for 4-6 months, assuming everything goes well.

I had many ambitions for my what my senior year would bring, setting goals to make first team all state and win mvp of our conference, but now it's all gone. I was in the process of trying out for a club which is ranked third nationally and funded/supported by the USMNT, and would have certainly made it if I had one more good day of tryouts this sunday. I was also going to play for a semi pro indoor team in the winter. Through those I was hoping to draw a lot more attention from colleges with very strong soccer programs. But a quote I heard pretty much sums this all up: "People make plans, and god laughs." I'm working on accepting this and moving on. If I revisit the moment it happened and ask "why me" I'll simply torture myself. It's out of my hands now and I'm moving on with my life. I still hope to play for college next year but now it will likely be a smaller school as opposed to a D1 power-house which I had been aiming for and working towards my whole life. For a lot of people on here it seems you believe soccer is your life. Well it may be a huge part of it, but there's more to it. It took a serious injury like this to make me realize it, but soccer plays just a small part in the grand scheme of things. I hope none of you ever have to go through something like this, especially not at such a pivotal point in your soccer career. Enjoy every second you are on that field, because everything can change in an instant.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Wow, my utmost condolances for you. I know my brother went through similar circumstances at my age (last year for you) that really shot down his chances of going far with his career, and trust me, he had the talent to go at least MLS. I have been blessed enough to avoid serious injuries, although I came close last week when I got a kick in the ankle that made a divot and the trainer swore I had broken it, but x-rays said otherwise. But this experience made me do the similar thinking that you are doing right now. Things can collapse into nothing in an instant, even though you may think that you are Superman and that nothing can happen to you. But like you said, that is all finished now, and you have to move on with your life. sh*t happens, but it's how you deal with it that will determine who you are and how successful a person you are. Saying that, I wouldn't give up on playing though. It seems as if you have made some pretty solid connections with smaller colleges, and they can be pretty understanding and sympathetic with your condition if they remember you, and chances are that you can end up playing for them anyway, even though you are crocked right now. I know that you are strong enough to get through this, and I am positive that you will, and you will be a more fortified person after this experience. Get better soon, and feel free to talk to me if you want.

On a somewhat similar note, there seems to be some sort of EF curse on the budding American talent here who are preparing to go the next step and play in college. First soccer11 breaks his leg, then ajc makes a smoothie out of his knee. Who's next? Hopefully no one.
God damn brewery!!!

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Wow. That is the soccer injury I am most afraid of getting. I can't say I know how you feel, because I don't. Your year is pretty much messed up now but all i can say is stay strong. I've had a few broken bones and ripped muscles in the past but nothing as bad as this. What i can say is that you can use this injury to make you mentally stronger. When you recover from it you will have a drive to get much better and it will help you. It is very sad but keep your head up Adam I'm sure you can still go far and this injury will only make you stronger.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

sorry to hear about that sounds like a nasty injury

good luck with your recovery and everything

Nestapernambucano

Yeh, good luck with your recovery and hopefully we will see the Philly Flyer in full flight in the future

:cry: RIP Vincenzo Paparelli. Killed by an AS Roma flare in 1979. :cry:
:cry: RIP Gabriele Sandri. Killed by a Police Officer in 2007. :cry:
FORZA LAZIO

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

I too give my deepest condolences to you, this must be very hard but i am glad you are a good enough person to be able to try and get over this terrible injury. My cousin was a keeper and she also was allstate, ODP etc... she was injured her senior year and did not play a single game, but now she is playing Division I soccer and Canisus college. She worked her ass off in physical therepy and rehab. What im trying to say is with a will to prevail through this injury and if you dedicate youself to getting better you will be on the field once again.

Best of Luck :D
sig by 2brown347

soccer11
Admin

o man, i'm soo sorry. i was really hoping it wasn't the ACL or anything like that. sh*t, that is serious. i hope the surgery goes well. i've pretty much told you everything there was to say about what to do earlier. just remember to keep focused and even though it's near impossible, stay as positive as you can. that really sucks. :cry:

expert
Site Admin

Every player has had serious injuries. It will inevitably happen when you play long enough and at a decent level. It sucks but at the same time it's all a part of the game. I've had about 3-4 serious injuries in the last 10-11 years. You're a young guy, you have decades of soccer ahead of you, if you still want to play of course.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Wow, I honestly can't tell you how bad I feel right now. I mean, you're doing great and everything's going good for you and all of a sudden this happens and your dreams are cut. I've never had an injury, especially one of that degree of seriousness, but I'm sure your friends and everyone around you feel for you and understand what a hard time it is for you right now. I bet everyone at your school is pretty sad that they lost such a talented player and know that there's that place on that team that you will always need to fill in order for the team to be great.

Anyways, rest up, don't worry too much and when you get up again to play, just treat it like another day. Practice/Play how you would normally play, and I bet you'll be ahead of the game again soon.

And about the people make plans and God laughs quote, I agree with you. I make plans for how to play on my high school team and provincial team, I end up not making them. Shame :( .

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Dude, I've chatted with you for months now and I am being honest in saying you are probably one of the coolest guys I've got a chance to talk to. I'm really sorry with your injury but with the way you are and your attitude on life you will be going places man. I won't have to say this, because I know you won't give up. You will keep moving forward and get on with life. Because as of now, you still have a lot in front of you. sh*t gets in the way, but it isn't going to stop you. Sure, it can slow you down but man, this will make you stronger.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Very sorry to hear about your injury. I really don't know what to tell you, but remember..."You will go through tough times, it's about coming through that."

I know that's from the becks commercial but it's completely true. Getting through this and continuing your career will make you a much stronger player mentally. Keep at it and things will go your way, don't lose hope!

Middleman13
Veteran Member

Man i cant even say how sorry I am. I dont really know you but that sh*t just sucks. You were going places with the sport, but sit does happen and it all comes down to that football is just a game.

I hope your rehab goes well and i know from your attitude towards your injury that you will come out on top in the end. Stick with it
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Thank you all so much for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. I'm going to work as hard as I possibly can through rehab and therapy to come back strong. I've gotten a lot of support through friends and family and now you guys, and I'm doing my best to keep my head up and not focus on the past. What's done is done. Thank you all again.

Looking forward, there is a D2 school I have had strong connections with that I can likely still get a partial scholarship and hopefully a starting spot my freshmen year. I like the school overall and it has a strong busniess program which is what I'm going to study so I wouldn't just be going there for soccer, but if I wanted to I could transfer to a D1 school a year later and not lose a year or eligibility because it is from D2 to D1. Right now it looks like that's where I'll end up going, but I'm not sure yet.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

that is a very sad story, makes people realise how much luck is a factor in their life. If you let the injury heal, and keep training after that, i think you will get back to your best, you still have many years ahead of you(i assume, i dont know how old you are but you still go to school so you cant be too old).

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

that is a very sad story, makes people realise how much luck is a factor in their life. If you let the injury heal, and keep training after that, i think you will get back to your best, you still have many years ahead of you(i assume, i dont know how old you are but you still go to school so you cant be too old).

It is a sad, but as ajc has already realized that there is more to life than football. It can be something you can dedicate your entire life to, yet because of the risks you take every time you go out on that pitch, you can get injured. It's as simple as that. Enjoy every minute you can playing or doing whatever you love because it can end in an instant.

Adam, man, I know you're strong and you are really intelligent. Keep going man, this is just a block, it can happen to anyone and it usually does to players at one time or another. You're still young and you will do well, maybe you will be under the radar and then breakout. Who knows?

Wouldn't that be the underdog story.... :)
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin