2 mile runs

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Saibomb
Veteran Member

One of the requirements or what the coach recommends for varsity is to be able to run 2 miles in under 12 mins. Unfortunately, the best I've got to is 13:30 and the season starts in about 2 weeks and one of those weeks I'll be in Toronto so I can't train during that time but anyway, I was wondering what your guys time is and if my time is bad or something.

mef

I think the fastest I've ever run 2 miles is around 13:30 like you, and I think that's supposed to be pretty good for my age (14). If you're around 16 than 12:00 is probably about right. How old are you?

kuijt18
Sophomore Member

They did that at my school but it really didn't mean anything, one guy ran it in 11:30 and didn't make the team while some other guys who ran it pretty close to your time made the team instead. If you're good enough at soccer they'll take you anyway. also my experience was that the adrenaline and having all the other kids running with you will make you push yourself much harder and you will end up probably running a record time. Also, be ready for some of the other kids to cheat, it happened every year at my school, don't worry about those kids just run your race and do your best. There's still a good chance that you can get your time down somewhere between 13 and 12 mins too. Try to find a running buddy who has run competitively before and ask him to check on your form and give you some pointers on how to run more efficiently. also don't train only by running 2 miles each time, mix it up with a few longer runs 3-4 miles

yuio

hey Saibomb what school do you go to i got the same 2 mile run under 12 minutes requirement, i know its a long shot but maybe you go to my school lol. i have ran it at 12:06

Gunner1124
New User

I'm 15 and can do it in 11:19 but it was a track meet. Plus, why not just run in toronto?

Matt17

It will only take a couple runs to get it down a few minutes. A kid came running in a race with me like 2 weeks ago. Then, last week, when we did the race again, his time was 3 minutes better. (3 mile race). But, it was still pretty bad, 25:something minutes. So, pretty much, it won't take long to do it. The only thing I would really worry about with your tryouts being so soon, and if you can't run at all, is if you have the run towards the end of the tryout, where you'll be more tired. If it is at the beginning, you could just use your desire to make the time to do it.

My time for 3 miles is 15:27, I've never done 2 mile times. But, going by that it would probably be about 9 minutes..

yuio

matt thats very impressive do you also do track or something or do you just run alot?

kuijt18
Sophomore Member

Matt, that is an amazing time, you must be top 5 in HS state cross country?

Also the jump will not come as quickly as it has been posted on here. if you've never been in that kind of shape before you will not reach that form so quickly. However, if you've been able to do the 2 in 12 before yea i would say its possible, but it sounds like you are new to this.

yuio

i just ran the 2 mile again and got the exact same time 12:06 :evil:

Matt17

I did track for a whle, and I do races every week. So, I run a lot. I've been going 3 miles since last summer, when I first started racing.

EDIT: Nope, the best place I got was I think 9th so far. Out of about 250. There are a ton of people doing it, and this guy that is like 65 normally wins it.

Saibomb
Veteran Member

yuio wrote:hey Saibomb what school do you go to i got the same 2 mile run under 12 minutes requirement, i know its a long shot but maybe you go to my school lol. i have ran it at 12:06
my high school is in Kansas city

adnankhan
Veteran Member

mine was 14:09 and i am 13 and my jv team require under 15 so i am straight...but i know some 1 who did 2 mile in 10 mins...i was like r u serious... :o :o

yuio

i live in overland park, so you live really close. probably my highschool has played you before. i go to blue valley north west

Saibomb
Veteran Member

Maybe, we've played high schools further out than that.