importance of calves in football

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
owensglory

can we build our calves muscle by just playing football regularly?Professionals do have big calves.are they working it out in gym?

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

owensglory wrote:can we build our calves muscle by just playing football regularly?Professionals do have big calves.are they working it out in gym?
Personally, I find that just playing games builds my calves to be pretty strong. I mean, I've never trained my calves but they are still muscular and strong from playing and practicing soccer.

It really depends on the person, and what types of movements you are accustomed to making during a game, how much you play, etc.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Since I started training my calves I've noticed increased strength and muscle mass compared to when their only exercise came from playing soccer. Working on your calves in the gym definately has its benefits. I'd imagine that somewhere along the line most professional players have worked out their calves in the gym.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Squat!!!!!!
Best excercise to train core and leg muscles.
Not only calves but also quadriceps and hamstrings are important.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

I've been adding skipping (leisurely, not intensely) inbetween exercises in my workout, and my stamina has improved slightly in less than 2 weeks. I think that the calves absorb shock and hold you up everytime you turn, run, stop, etc. and this tires them, so working on them is of course beneficial.