importance of calves in football

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Ali14

i wanted to know wat is the importance of calves in football as i am training them nowadays but dont know wat their benifit is in football...??

Middleman13
Veteran Member

they look cool
they may make u run faster
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.

steve-0
Veteran Member

helps in your shooting.

Zuhair

Calves are used to generate shooting power and help in running too like steve-o and Middleman13 said. they would look ccol too but i dont think that would be of much importance in football, just the looks? :P

belija91
Veteran Member

The importance is the same as every other muscle why would it be any different? You need them to be strong so you can run faster and for longer without getting tired. If you had weak calf muscles do you think that's going to be an advantage lol? You need them for everything football related.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Calves are involved with almost everything you do in one way or another because you're always using your legs in some way.

obsessedwithsoccer
New User

I've noticed in all the 90 minute games I've played, that the first muscles to go from exhaustion are my calves... once on the field my calf cramped up and I couldn't run anymore (pretty painful) but that was the only muscle that I experienced this sort of fatigue from. I think the acceleration factor, coupled with the fast sprinting on one's toes, means a lot of stress gets placed on these muscles. Sooooo develop them :D

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Yeah, this is the muscle you put a lot of strain on. Even in the pros, they always cramp up their calf muscles and try to stretch them. You need to build them up for everything football really!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

guion23

Your calf muscles help you run, shoot, jump, be explosive, and many other things. The stronger your calf muscles, the faster you can run, the harder you can shoot, the higher you can jump, and the quicker you can be when exploding into space. The calves are a very important muscle to have. You also need to have very strong quads and hamstrings too.

NIKE IT UP.

steve-0
Veteran Member

this is off topic but... how do rock hard abs help in soccer?

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

They get you "Got Milk" ads that appeal to ladies too. At least thats probably what Becks thinks. :roll:

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Steve-O search the forums and basically what you'll find is that it helps having a strong core for anything you do.

The only reason the ladies go for Becks are the "Got Milk" ads gnarly! Don't be foolish, that's all he has that we don't. :roll:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Another off-topic question: which muscle is more important in your shooting ability, your calves or your quads? (Because I have rock solid calves but can't even leg press 300)

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Another off-topic question: which muscle is more important in your shooting ability, your calves or your quads? (Because I have rock solid calves but can't even leg press 300)
Quads, no question. That's the main muscle you use for shooting, but your calves, hamstrings, and core are also important.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Quads are also the muscle that help you if you want to dunk a basketball, for example.