I'm a complete beginner...Any tips?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Nina98
New User

I'm a complete beginner...Any tips?

Post by Nina98 » 02 Jun 2015, 07:34

So after this summer I will be a senior in high school, and I have never in my life participated in a sport. I suppose I've never had a strong enough interest to truly pursue a sport, but this year is different. For whatever reason, I just felt like I needed to join a team. And for whatever other reason, I was drawn to soccer. After perusing the internet for idol training exercises and general fitness goals of current players, I must say it will be a long road to success. So I guess what I'm asking for here is a little (or a lot :wink:) of guidence from anyone willing to fill me in on all things futbol.

I know the very basics of the game itself, the roles of the midfielders, defense, and goalies, and basic training exercises (like dribbling and juggling) but I've yet to put any of what little knowledge I have to good use. It seems I could look up info till the cows come home, but what I really need is someone's judgement call. Should I train hard all summer and go to try outs despite my severe lack of experience (and unlikely acceptance to senior varsity :roll:), or should I just settle for tennis :wink:? I could really use some honest advice here, both on how to get and stay on the field. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and my current fitness level is kinda mediocre...I've got about a 10-11 minute mile (and that's on a good day :oops: ) and currently go to the gym for the better part of a week, usually for about an hour. I'm 5'8" and a girl (if you haven't figured that out :P ) so I'm not totally into the free weights aspect of things, but most everything else I'm willing to try. I plan on making time to practice lone soccer drills too, but please do leave some suggestions! :D
"I'm not competitive as long as I'm winning." ~Jackie Moon

expert
Site Admin

Re: I'm a complete beginner...Any tips?

Post by expert » 04 Jun 2015, 12:12

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Yea, high school soccer can be fun, even if you never played before.
Typically, you should be fine as long as you have some level of fitness.
You would probably do well if you can run up and down the field and pass the ball.
If want to be really committed, get in the habit of jogging at least every other day
during the summer and you'll have a good head start.
It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the long run.
and unlikely acceptance to senior varsity
Sure, you'll probably have a shot, unless your school is really good.
When I was in high school, all the seniors were accepted on varsity.
Generally speaking, you don't want to look it as "am I good enough"
but rather as: "am I willing to put in the necessary effort".

Nina98
New User

Post by Nina98 » 05 Jun 2015, 03:18

Thanks, that's helpful advice. I've been jogging at the gym intermittently but will start to get more of a routine going to better prepare. And I do hope to get on varsity this year. In the words of Jimmy MacElroy from Blades of Glory, "If you can dream it you can do it."
"I'm not competitive as long as I'm winning." ~Jackie Moon

Firafootballfitness
New User

Post by Firafootballfitness » 13 Mar 2019, 03:47

If you are a complete beginner to soccer and you are at an older age such as 16. I think it will be a good idea to join a recreational league or somewhere not so competitive. A environment too conpetitive might ruin the experience as there might be too much pressure. It all depends on what you want. If you like the challenge then go for it. For training do interval training to get in shape and work on basics such as passing and dribbling.

Check out my blog for more soccer content and drills
https://firafootballfitness.com/?s=Hydration