Learning to freestyle.

Talk about soccer freestyle tricks and moves
Magicfeet

Learning to freestyle.

Post by Magicfeet » 28 May 2005, 15:01

I'm not much of a freestyler really, but I can do a few simple tricks, and am going to start trying to freestyle properly. I can currently do ATW (though not EVERY time), roll across the shoulders, stall it on my toes, stall crossover, catch between foot and thigh, and have a few nice ways to flick the ball into the air. Oh, and press ups after catching the ball on my neck.

A few questions for those of you who can freestyle well...

Does using a small ball to practice help? And if so, how much?

How often d o you practice? Or is it just whenever you can?

Do you practice a single move over and over, until you've nailed it? Or just gradually get better by doing all manner of tricks?

And any other advice you may have would be great. Thanks guys!

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 28 May 2005, 19:17

try doing press ups with clapping ur hands..... i can do it with ball size 1 (much harder)
practice once a week, spend 2 hours during weekend and try doing one move until you do it to perfection....
i also practice at home, when i am bored i get the small ball and do some house tricks.....
but don't care much about freestyle, better focus on the game, unless you want to go to the circus....
football is about playing it with team, not playing it with ball by yourself....

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 28 May 2005, 19:41

Holding a smaller ball on your neck is far easier in my experience. You can get it to just rest in the "groove" created by pushing up your shoulders and dipping your head (not the best way to describe it, but I'm tired and incompetent -- you all know how it's done anyway). The clapping sounds very hard though... I've never tried it.

As for practicing once a week for 2 hours... that's idiotic if you want to get good at freestyling as I do. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. That's nowhere near enough time.

And of course football is about playing with a team. But if there is nobody else about, freestyling is fun and improves touch (it sure has for me).

I went to the circus the other day actually, just to watch this guy who was rather good at freestyling. Went by the name of Ronald or something, and had this delightful team strip on... couldn't recognize it though. Apparently he is regarded as the best player in the world... but he can freestyle, so that must just be the hype.

Owen4ever
Veteran Member

Post by Owen4ever » 28 May 2005, 23:05

jcdenton wrote:try doing press ups with clapping ur hands..... i can do it with ball size 1 (much harder)
practice once a week, spend 2 hours during weekend and try doing one move until you do it to perfection....
i also practice at home, when i am bored i get the small ball and do some house tricks.....
but don't care much about freestyle, better focus on the game, unless you want to go to the circus....
football is about playing it with team, not playing it with ball by yourself....

that's about the dumbest thing anyone can ever say and i've seen too much of. i believe we are posting in the "FREESTYLE SOCCER" forum.
Magicfeet wrote:I'm not much of a freestyler really, but I can do a few simple tricks, and am going to start trying to freestyle properly. I can currently do ATW (though not EVERY time), roll across the shoulders, stall it on my toes, stall crossover, catch between foot and thigh, and have a few nice ways to flick the ball into the air. Oh, and press ups after catching the ball on my neck.

A few questions for those of you who can freestyle well...

Does using a small ball to practice help? And if so, how much?

How often d o you practice? Or is it just whenever you can?

Do you practice a single move over and over, until you've nailed it? Or just gradually get better by doing all manner of tricks?

And any other advice you may have would be great. Thanks guys!
yea with a small ball it definitely does help. it's much harder to control a smaller ball so when you go back to the bigger ball it's much easier. personally i do like the small ball practicing thing but with me (i'm not sure if it's with ne1 else) it messes me up because i start thinking this ball is so huge when it's just normal size and i've been practicing with a small ball.

i practice all the time. i always have a ball on me. when i'm walking around the house i have the ball and i always try little tricks here and there. same with at school. sometimes i don't want to leave my ball alone i even take it in the showers or with me to sleep on my feet.

when i practice, i mean seriously practice and not just foolin with the ball, i practice a certain trick a few times until i think it's good enough or if i'm frustrated and i move onto another trick. and then after awhile i come back to it if i want. and if i'm really frustrated with doing tricks i'll just pass against a wall or flick the ball up as high as i can and control it. i do that for a bit until i work my frustrations out of my system and start practicing tricks again.

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod

Post by *yung-ital* » 29 May 2005, 00:35

when i practice, i mean seriously practice and not just foolin with the ball, i practice a certain trick a few times until i think it's good enough or if i'm frustrated and i move onto another trick. and then after awhile i come back to it if i want. and if i'm really frustrated with doing tricks i'll just pass against a wall or flick the ball up as high as i can and control it. i do that for a bit until i work my frustrations out of my system and start practicing tricks again.
i couldnt have said it better. i always have my ball with me..right now im injured but last night i was still trying moves like inside and outside atw combo. but to work through frustrations is good. i get sooooo frsutatrted sometimes that i kick my ball so far away..then the next day i can do it really well..im progressing fast..the secret i found is just getting ur juggling to hit it perfect before the move.
KevinR9 Thanks Bruvva

Toe Bounce

Post by Toe Bounce » 29 May 2005, 00:57

pretty nice list magicfeet! I'm just starting too, mebbe we can help eachother out.

I can rainbow, lateral stall, toe stall, catch stalls, ATW, make a few hits with my shoulders, and (heh) stall crossover.

I'm working on jester, neck catch, and normal toe bounce.

coop8

Post by coop8 » 29 May 2005, 01:13

what is stall crossover

Toe Bounce

Post by Toe Bounce » 29 May 2005, 02:26

a trick that someone thought up and Magic and I named.

you stall with your right foot, step over with your left foot, and then flick it up. It sorts of rolls around your left leg and winds up in front of you so you can juggle it again.

Olé
New User

Post by Olé » 31 May 2005, 01:43

I can already juggle, but I am completely new to freestyling. You said you should keep trying to do a single trick, but could you recommend a trick to start with?
OLÉ!