Juggling and tricks in mathe- how long will it take to come?

Talk about soccer freestyle tricks and moves
tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

I know it depends on many factors, but it's frustrating me at the moment. On my dominant left foot I've gone from 1 or 2 kick ups to about 10-13, and my right foot i haven't really tackled (excuse the pun), yet. It feels really alien trying to do kick ups with my right foot - obviously i need to though to become a good juggler (after all, it is the basis for many tricks like the ATW). Basically, i have until June (when i leave my school) to show off some skills in a math or two, so do you reckon I'll be able to do a good amount of kick ups e.g. 30, with an ATW if i practice for 1-2 hours a day, along with 1 match a week?

Just need some encouragement and advice really i guess. I knew a few tricks, but it's embarrsing to try it in a game at the moment as I'm scared it will result in failure .e.g elastico or step overs. Incidentally, what is the best way to do fast step overs would you say?

mint
EF Drug Baron

tRiXtEr wrote: what is the best way to do fast step overs would you say?
the best way to get good at stepovers is just get a football or cone and just practice stepovers over the cone or ball, at a comfotable speed at first, then when you begin improving just start increasing the speed. after you have mastered that try dribbling the ball then doing step overs.
i was made to ignite

NewBornProdigy
Admin

the joint at your hip is more evolved for walking and running, not so much flamboeant circular movements
since tricks like stepovers and ATW's are very un-natural, due to the fact that your body isn't designed or used to doing them

but being such an amazing versatile creation, you can practice a technique enough that it becomes natural and easy
8 months is alot of time and with practice you will defintely be able to do tricks like ATW at the end... if you stay determined

the drill mint said is very good for improving foot speed and stepover technique

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

I will persevere guys trust me on that one - absolutely love the sport. Will take on Mint's advice, i have until June before i leave school, so i should be 5 times better by then considering I've only been playing for a few weeks, right? Also, with regards to kick ups, just practice and practice? The other foot feels alien (being my non-dominant one).

matt_a
Veteran Member

in regards to kickups: yeah unfortunately theres no avoiding the practice...the only thing you could do is check whether your juggling with the correct part of the foot, and that your alternating feet, ie: left-right-left-right

[btw correct part of the foot [for me, may differ person to person] is where the two biggest toes join, a tiny bit back from that on the bone]

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

That's interesting advice. I try and kick the ball directly in the middle(obviously), with the flat part of the middle of my foot, i guess i could change it to the two bigger toes as you suggest instead. But, obviously same principle of hitting the ball directly in the middle when possible? If i keep practicing for 1-2hours everyday, do you think i have a good change of doing 30-50 kick ups in the next 4-5 months?

Thanks for advice so far!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

with the flat part of the middle of my foot, i guess i could change it to the two bigger toes as you suggest instead
No don't change it, don't force someone else's style
just juggle and just run with what you get

then when YOUR technique is good you can experiment a bit
If i keep practicing for 1-2hours everyday, do you think i have a good change of doing 30-50 kick ups in the next 4-5 months?
yes

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

Thanks for the advice :). Well at the moment I'm doing nice mini elasticos when jogging now (better so than stationary!), decent(ish) step overs, (although they need more speed - ankle weights?), working on the zidane/maradona 360 turn along with my dribbling/shooting. I would say the majority of the time when i fail a kick up it goes away from me (not towards me), i find it hard also to correct it when the ball hits my leg and comes too close. Were you guys like this when you started off?

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

If you have until June, you'll most likely be able to do 500+ with good practice. I wouldn't worry. ;)

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

Thanks for thatencouragement mate, i can only do 10-13 at the moment though after a few attempts at a time - the other non-dominant foot still feels alien haha! Should i wait to use both feet until i can do 20-30 on one foot, or use both in practice everyday, along with just one? I would love to be ablet to juggle to 50 by june and do an ATW.

keller8
Veteran Member

hey NBP, no offence or anything, but I totally agree with matt. I use to juggle the first way, then changed to the way matt said. Now I juggle low, with no spin and is easy to control. REALLY EASY. I got some advice from Macca and some others on FDU about my juggling. Then I practrised what they said. Now I am a betteer freestyler than ever and can do tricks and juggling WAY more consistent.

LINK: http://fdu.nullcon.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=237

Hope I help tRiXtEr

~KellerFS
Mattsta-"There would be no point in freestyle if we knew all the tricks from the start. The fact that we had to practise to get them pays off because in the end we have earnt it."

tRiXtEr
Sophomore Member

Thanks. I'll give the other method a try, and if it does not help, then i'll stick with the old one. It's annoying how alien my right foot feels. As i asked though, is it better to start using my right foot now, or when i am more comfortable doing kick ups on my left for say 20-30 reps.

matt_a
Veteran Member

on the toes is the most comman method - that doesnt make it right. [millions jump off a cliff, make it right?]

if you juggle on the toes it will be easier to get a more consistent touch and you will probably find it easier to pick up air moves.

but if you juggle with the middle of your foot it doesnt mean you wont be able to freestyle. it is likely that you would develop a unique style, rather than the regular style. Also most people use the middle of their foot to juggle sitting down, so if you juggle with the middle of your foot all the time you may find sits easier to learn.

matt_a
Veteran Member

tRiXtEr wrote:As i asked though, is it better to start using my right foot now, or when i am more comfortable doing kick ups on my left for say 20-30 reps.
definitely better to juggle with alternating feet, ie left-right-left-right

NewBornProdigy
Admin

hey NBP, no offence or anything, but I totally agree with matt. I use to juggle the first way, then changed to the way matt said. Now I juggle low, with no spin and is easy to control. REALLY EASY
hey its cool keller, but think about it this way
didn't you have to practice to find out one way doesn't work?
so you switched to a different way...

I meant more that trixter shouldn't copy what someone else tells him, and through trial and error find his own style, even if it means finding one way doesn't work
(mabye i was a bit arrogant to rule out trying out matta's way all together)

yours was obviously there, but you needed help finding it

mabye trixer is the same, mabye hes different
he'll just have to find out :D