Shin Guards: Mobility or Protection?

Reviews and discussion about soccer gear
Kaka's_got_skillz
Sophomore Member

Even though you have to wear shin guards in any soccer game you play, some people really prefer types that allow them to still move flexibly (if that's a word) and dun really care much for the protection. Is it really that important to get shin guards which can sustain a heavy amount of blows? Cuz I rarely get tripped or kicked in the shins, it's usually in the face :P

SV_08

I used to wear big shingaurds with ankle guards and stuff, but this year I felt like since I got faster, I should get some light shingaurds. I mean, even playing forward or wing where you get slashed in the ankles and stuff, I think that the slip ins (mine are the Mercuial Lites) are better. You barely feel em and they give your legs more freedom to move. But, if u get kicked in the shins a lot, get the protection 1's I guess.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

I'm all for small, lightweight shinguards rather than big bulky protective buggers that don't let you move at all. Just my opinion. :P

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Yeah I also like the small light-weight shin guards. The big and bulky ones mess me up too much.

P.Nedved

Yeah I wear very small shingaurds. I mean I rarely ever get kicked in the shins. But usually defenders wear those big and bulky shingaurds.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Kaka's_got_skillz wrote: Cuz I rarely get tripped or kicked in the shins, it's usually in the face :P
If you usually get kicked in the face I think you have bigger problems then which shinguards to wear. :)

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Yeah man you should play in freaking chainmail.

twinkletoes
New User

personally i like mobility (light shinguards) because it makes you feel light and fast

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Look under "Real_Zidane", please. You'll notice that it says he posted here in January. Posting in such an old topic, like you did, is frowned upon in the forums. Old topics are called "dead topics", and you should try not to revive them unless you want to ask a question and not start a brand new topic. Keep that in mind. Thanks.

Kuz3

Well I prefer shinpads that are flexible and light because bulky protective ones will stuff up your volley, instead of the ball hitting your laces they'll end up hitting the bottom of your pads.

Shifty_FSU
Veteran Member

Kuz3 wrote:Well I prefer shinpads that are flexible and light because bulky protective ones will stuff up your volley, instead of the ball hitting your laces they'll end up hitting the bottom of your pads.
Grrr.. i hate it when that happens, i also can't juggle with shinpads on eithers :x
Fight for the name on the front, n they'll remember the name on the back.

http://pitch.co/entry/46412
^Vote please? :)

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Same here with juggling with them on. But when I'm playing in a regular game, I could barely play without 'em.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

Shifty_FSU wrote:
Kuz3 wrote:Well I prefer shinpads that are flexible and light because bulky protective ones will stuff up your volley, instead of the ball hitting your laces they'll end up hitting the bottom of your pads.
Grrr.. i hate it when that happens, i also can't juggle with shinpads on eithers :x
I have the exact same problem, thats why when im at practice i dont really put the on until a scrimmage or some thing like that...
sig by 2brown347

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

i like the small ones ALOT better. i dont really care about protection, they are alot lighter and not to mention they look 10 times better.
one time the ref even told me i couldnt play in the game because my shinguards were too small.

i do it mostly for looks, since protection isnt an issue for me. i prefer to be the one dealing out the bruises :D
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

Their was a rule in our school division, that said that your shin guards could not go 3 finger lengths from where the top of your foot is... it was the stupidist rule, because all you saw was a bunch of guys with there shins down to their feet, but most of the time the official didnt check...
sig by 2brown347