Trouble breaking in cleats

Reviews and discussion about soccer gear
Juicygriot17

Hey, about a month ago, I bought the T90 Strike-L (leather). I wore it around the house a crapload of times, trained with it a couple of times, and conditioned it to make it softer. My older cleats were Trequartistas, which were leather, and this method worked for me well. Every time I play with my T90s theyre stiff as hell, just as if I just bought them. My touch with them is absolutely hideous at times.

Do you guys have any tips in breaking them in and softening them?

TommyGun
Veteran Member

I think the problem you'll find with the T90's is that it's just a stiffly constructed boot. The pods along the instep doesn't really allow for much stretching through the forefoot. I'd say the CTR's are a little softer throughout so it'll probably just take some more time with the T90's to get them right. What part of the boot is uncomfortable in particular?

scottS4
Veteran Member

Tommygun you'd make the perfect soccer store salesmen

Juicygriot17

@Tommygun uh the whole boot is hella stiff all around but particular around the inside of the foot... the leather's stiffness just does not give a healthy rebound to the ball. But yes you're right, its more stiff around the instep pod, whether it's the inside or outside

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Juicygriot17 wrote:@Tommygun uh the whole boot is hella stiff all around but particular around the inside of the foot... the leather's stiffness just does not give a healthy rebound to the ball. But yes you're right, its more stiff around the instep pod, whether it's the inside or outside
@Scott the sales gene never leaves you..no matter how long you've been out of the game. I have both shoes so it's really easy to see the situation though. I'm a bit of a boot whore so I don't mind helping around around here with specific questions like these.

@juicy They do have the leather and synthetic Strike's and I'm sure the synthetics are even worse. Yeah, the leather isn't soft enough to give with the ball on a touch, so it's truly like you're wearing something over your foot vs. softer leather that would mold around your foot for a better touch. I have the Laser Elite's + CTR Elite's and they are not even close in terms of touch(even at those materials). They but a layer of memory foam under the tongue of the Laser/Laser Elite's to try to make them a bit more comfortable, plus the poron inserts in the insole. I could see how the boot would be hell without those because it's barely half as comfortable as the CTR's with those additions.

I'd try putting tennis balls in the heels when you're not wearing them to open up the heel/ankle area some which could help them become a bit more comfortable. Also, shoe horns aren't a bad idea to keep the space within the shoe opened up. All I can say is to just keep running in them and eventually they'll bend/stretch/mold with to your foot to make them somewhat comfortable. If you give up on them, I'd recommend either the Maestri's or Laser III's since you can find some great deals on eBay here and there on previous colors. You might pay a bit more up front but you'll get the comfort and a bit more use out of them.

dasfootball90

i posted something just like this last summer when i bought new cleats. You just got practice more in them and then you will get use to it. I'm telling you. When you got back to your to your shoe or cleats you will see no diffrences.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Just to add to everything said here, don't forget to put bandaids on your feet (before!) particuarly around your heels or anywhere else you think you might get blisters while you're still trying to break them in. They might not seem like a problem, but blisters can be bitches :twisted:
Sig by me