What to wear on turf?

Reviews and discussion about soccer gear
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

What to wear on turf?

Post by pickyourheadup » 27 Sep 2009, 01:55

I'm going to be playing some intramural soccer in a few weeks. The field is turf (plastic "grass" with very small bits of rubber).
I know turf shoes are the obvious choice, but I only have FG Umbero (K leather) cleats and my futsal shoes.

-Between the two pairs that I have available to me, which would be better to play with?

-If I choose the K. Leather Umbero cleats, will the turf tear it?

P.S.
I tried searching the forums for a similar topic (using "turf") but came up with nothing significant)
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 27 Sep 2009, 02:49

i would just use your usual outdoor cleats. ive played on that kind of turf a couple times and actually prefer it to grass. i dont think i'd suggest futsal shoes

Giggsy11

Post by Giggsy11 » 27 Sep 2009, 15:54

basically all i play on is turf (cuz in the states noone knows how to maintain a proper grass field) and i wear normal cleats. ive tried futsal shoes and u slip like crazy, especially when wet. the stuff is supposed to imitate grass so go with the cleats.
The secret to being succesful is to be ready for opportunity when it comes.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Sep 2009, 20:10

Cleats are fantastic grip on turf, only problem is some places don't allow you to use cleats on turf. Find out before hand if they allow it, if not then the fustal shoes will be fine.

Adain21
New User

Post by Adain21 » 26 Oct 2009, 10:26

Of all the shoes I've tried (X-trainers, trail-runners, football-turf, soccer-turf, and basketball), I liked the basketball shoes the most. Very comfortable and supportive, with minimal slipping (none that I can recall).

You don't want to stick to the turf too hard anyway; it's a good way to wreck a knee. There are lots of horror stories out there. Definitely go for comfort over maximum grip.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Re: What to wear on turf?

Post by panchester07 » 26 Oct 2009, 16:39

pickyourheadup wrote:I'm going to be playing some intramural soccer in a few weeks. The field is turf (plastic "grass" with very small bits of rubber).
I know turf shoes are the obvious choice, but I only have FG Umbero (K leather) cleats and my futsal shoes.

-Between the two pairs that I have available to me, which would be better to play with?

-If I choose the K. Leather Umbero cleats, will the turf tear it?

P.S.
I tried searching the forums for a similar topic (using "turf") but came up with nothing significant)
I would say play with your indoor shoes. Unless its raining, because ive seen quite a few players injure their ankles on turf because they have troubles and their foot gets kind of stuck when they do certain type of movement.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

snell
New User

Post by snell » 20 Dec 2009, 12:06

I play on this type of pitch every week and i use my Vapor v FG's or Adinova FG's and get maximum grip on the pitch and have no problems turning or quickly pulling away.