Thinking about Boots

Reviews and discussion about soccer gear
SheepKeep
New User

Hi all. I'm thinking (not buying) about what soccer cleats might work for me. I play goalkeeper but I might be playing the field some. My specialty is one versus one with an attacker. I get hit a lot, for example the last game I played I got a cleat to the head twice and that wasn't all of it. There are two important things about the tactics of 1v1 that relate to the boots. One is speed. If it's a loose ball or if the attack does not have control of the ball, then I have got to explode out of the box like a bat out of hell. The second issue is the obvious one: protection. I get stepped on a lot. While I want to be fast, I don't want to be wearing mercurial vapors when a hundred and forty pound attacker lands on my foot at full momentum. Right now I have the Puma King XL whose supposedly "super-soft kangaroo leather" is surprisingly rigid, uncomfortably so if I were a field player. Any thoughts?

lawdavid36
New User

maybe try predators or adipure, they are both light and made of good, soft leather.

konlly
New User

I think the nike total90 lasers are great. Ive had vapors and predators mostly and i think the lasers are the best. I can't say theyre light but its still good quality. If you're playing goalie they can help with precision from goal kicks and free kicks and theyre the most comfortable out of all the cleats ive had.

sir_alex_vu

Predators.

The best boots on the market. I don't really understand the hype surrounding the Mercurial Vapors.

Predators are pretty tough, but let's face it, if you get stepped on, you're going to feel it either way. I'd say get the Predators.

nick117
Veteran Member

sir_alex_vu wrote:Predators.

The best boots on the market. I don't really understand the hype surrounding the Mercurial Vapors.

Predators are pretty tough, but let's face it, if you get stepped on, you're going to feel it either way. I'd say get the Predators.
the hype is because of how light they are it's pretty amazing especially when you switch to them from lazers.

sir_alex_vu

sir_alex_vu wrote:
Predators.

the hype is because of how light they are it's pretty amazing especially when you switch to them from lazers.
I get that, but if people want light shoes, how come the Puma v.01's don't get as much attention. They weigh 6 oz.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

I have Puma V 1.08's they are really light, but the touch is god awful on them. The toe box curves up like elf shoes, and they are somewhat stiff, and I've had them for about two years now. I prefer the Vapors, preferably the III's but the IV's aren't too bad. The touch on them, especially when shooting is excellent. Never tried Preds before.

sir_alex_vu

I have Puma V 1.08's they are really light, but the touch is god awful on them. The toe box curves up like elf shoes, and they are somewhat stiff, and I've had them for about two years now. I prefer the Vapors, preferably the III's but the IV's aren't too bad. The touch on them, especially when shooting is excellent. Never tried Preds before.

I've never worn Puma v.01's before so it's good thing to know that I'll have to cross them out when I search for my next pair.

My game doesn't rely on my speed, so Vapors don't really do a thing for me. Plus, I have wide feet so my Vapors don't realy even fit me.

Predators are perfect for me, because I love shooting. I'm just like a Gerrard, I play pretty tough, and shooting's a big part of my game.