Shinguards

Reviews and discussion about soccer gear
krizzle
New User
Posts: 21
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 00:00

Post

I don't know where to post this so I guess it'll be right here.

I need to get shin guards.
I play Forward/Mid, so will not be doing much tackling, but will be receiving it.
Which shin guards should I get?
Should I get them with ankle guards?
And what are the best shin guards for under $30?
I want them to be strong, so I don't get injured, and also pretty light-weight.

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member
Posts: 460
Joined: 25 Jan 2008, 05:24

Post

krizzle wrote:I don't know where to post this so I guess it'll be right here.

I need to get shin guards.
I play Forward/Mid, so will not be doing much tackling, but will be receiving it.
Which shin guards should I get?
Should I get them with ankle guards?
And what are the best shin guards for under $30?
I want them to be strong, so I don't get injured, and also pretty light-weight.
ankle guards help,i say spend a little more tan thirty if you can because your investing in something regarding your well being. addidas,or nike make good ones,
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again
Image

John_Bob
Veteran Member
Posts: 395
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 04:43

Post

Here is the shin guard I have worn the past few seasons:

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage. ... _Id=244109

They have worked well for me. I would not recommend wearing ones with ankle guards because I hate the way they feel and I don't feel they really do much to protect you.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post

I would not get ankle protection is uncomfortable..and gets in the way....and lets be realistic if your going to recieve a career ending ankle injury....is a little cushion going to prevent anything???

I have these and I love them....

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage. ... t_Id=21953
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member
Posts: 460
Joined: 25 Jan 2008, 05:24

Post

MUFC1994 wrote:I would not get ankle protection is uncomfortable..and gets in the way....and lets be realistic if your going to recieve a career ending ankle injury....is a little cushion going to prevent anything???

I have these and I love them....

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage. ... t_Id=21953
so when your ankle rolls,and twists and such its okay right? i mean when your just going to blow off crucial time for your training its gonna be alright yeah? Rolling Eyes i don't think so,get ankle guards,of course this sport is heavy on your knees and ankles,you only get one face,one body and one set of legs,so all the better to protect them and take care of your body.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again
Image

John_Bob
Veteran Member
Posts: 395
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 04:43

Post

BuzzingBee wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:I would not get ankle protection is uncomfortable..and gets in the way....and lets be realistic if your going to recieve a career ending ankle injury....is a little cushion going to prevent anything???

I have these and I love them....

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage. ... t_Id=21953
so when your ankle rolls,and twists and such its okay right? i mean when your just going to blow off crucial time for your training its gonna be alright yeah? Rolling Eyes i don't think so,get ankle guards,of course this sport is heavy on your knees and ankles,you only get one face,one body and one set of legs,so all the better to protect them and take care of your body.
But is there any real evidence that proves ankle guards prevent actual injuries. Yeah I know they can possibly prevent minor cuts and bruises but I doubt that they can stop major sprains and such. Show me some kind of evidence that proves the contrary and maybe I will start wearing them but until then I will go without them, they are just too damn uncomfortable.

SelckeBU10
Sophomore Member
Posts: 37
Joined: 15 Jun 2009, 18:49

Post

Dont you think if they helped that much that every pro would be wearing ankle guards. I dont think i've even seen a pro wear them.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post

BuzzingBee wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:I would not get ankle protection is uncomfortable..and gets in the way....and lets be realistic if your going to recieve a career ending ankle injury....is a little cushion going to prevent anything???

I have these and I love them....

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage. ... t_Id=21953
so when your ankle rolls,and twists and such its okay right? i mean when your just going to blow off crucial time for your training its gonna be alright yeah? Rolling Eyes i don't think so,get ankle guards,of course this sport is heavy on your knees and ankles,you only get one face,one body and one set of legs,so all the better to protect them and take care of your body.
I agree with JB on this one....

Also the only ankle protection that I have ever seen doesn't really prvent ankle sprains and strains....
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member
Posts: 460
Joined: 25 Jan 2008, 05:24

Post

John_Bob wrote:
BuzzingBee wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:I would not get ankle protection is uncomfortable..and gets in the way....and lets be realistic if your going to recieve a career ending ankle injury....is a little cushion going to prevent anything???

I have these and I love them....

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage. ... t_Id=21953
so when your ankle rolls,and twists and such its okay right? i mean when your just going to blow off crucial time for your training its gonna be alright yeah? Rolling Eyes i don't think so,get ankle guards,of course this sport is heavy on your knees and ankles,you only get one face,one body and one set of legs,so all the better to protect them and take care of your body.
But is there any real evidence that proves ankle guards prevent actual injuries. Yeah I know they can possibly prevent minor cuts and bruises but I doubt that they can stop major sprains and such. Show me some kind of evidence that proves the contrary and maybe I will start wearing them but until then I will go without them, they are just too damn uncomfortable.
you guys are crazy,how about when you get injured,I've gotten my ankle stepped on with spikes,and thank god it was a light hit!,and the only thing that helped it was ankle guards you need to cushion the blow! and if it wasn't effective,wouldn't the companies stop making them,the difference is your not pro yet,the pros are well pro..they have equipment to match their needs,and it the ankle guards help keep the shin guards in place,and they would be uncomfortable if your shoes are smaller/or bigger,which is bad also..you guys aren't pro yet,you will be but you gotta take care of your boddy!
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again
Image

KoNJa04
Veteran Member
Posts: 365
Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 20:37

Post

Ask Soccer11 about shinguards, considering he Broke his shin because he didnt wear them at practice, now he never takes em off.... haha
Image

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

Zlatan5
Veteran Member
Posts: 1208
Joined: 17 Nov 2006, 05:41

Post

The J Guards are really small. I've seen people wear them and been injured with them. I use the Mercurial shin guards, but the smallest possible. I honestly cant really remember anyone hitting my shins, as I wear my shins pretty high up and leave my lower shins and ankle exposed, why? Because when they are higher up I feel I am more mobile. But, in due honest opinion, my feet get stepped on more than anything, I get hacked in the ankles occasionally, but I' fond of it. The ankle guards cant save you from rolling your ankles either, just knicks and bumps.


Edit: If I had money to spend I'd buy the 100 dollar mercurial shins, those things are sweet.

John_Bob
Veteran Member
Posts: 395
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 04:43

Post

KoNJa04 wrote:Ask Soccer11 about shinguards, considering he Broke his shin because he didnt wear them at practice, now he never takes em off.... haha
Shoot, I haven't worn shin guards in practice for years and nothing bad has happened to me, I must be invincible, I am going to jump off of a cliff.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post

Zlatan5 wrote:The J Guards are really small. I've seen people wear them and been injured with them. I use the Mercurial shin guards, but the smallest possible. I honestly cant really remember anyone hitting my shins, as I wear my shins pretty high up and leave my lower shins and ankle exposed, why? Because when they are higher up I feel I am more mobile. But, in due honest opinion, my feet get stepped on more than anything, I get hacked in the ankles occasionally, but I' fond of it. The ankle guards cant save you from rolling your ankles either, just knicks and bumps.


Edit: If I had money to spend I'd buy the 100 dollar mercurial shins, those things are sweet.
Ya the J guards run pretty small...but I got a size bigger so they actually fit me.... I know they offer little protection...but they are so light.... :D
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member
Posts: 460
Joined: 25 Jan 2008, 05:24

Post

MUFC1994 wrote:
Zlatan5 wrote:The J Guards are really small. I've seen people wear them and been injured with them. I use the Mercurial shin guards, but the smallest possible. I honestly cant really remember anyone hitting my shins, as I wear my shins pretty high up and leave my lower shins and ankle exposed, why? Because when they are higher up I feel I am more mobile. But, in due honest opinion, my feet get stepped on more than anything, I get hacked in the ankles occasionally, but I' fond of it. The ankle guards cant save you from rolling your ankles either, just knicks and bumps.


Edit: If I had money to spend I'd buy the 100 dollar mercurial shins, those things are sweet.
Ya the J guards run pretty small...but I got a size bigger so they actually fit me.... I know they offer little protection...but they are so light.... :D
yeah i get it,agile shinguard's i suppose,but still,it wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side,better 100% than 60% and whats right for you guys might not be right for the person asking that being said,safe,secure side is always good.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again
Image

F7A
New User
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 15:33

Post

Does anybody knows where to buy tape (to hold shinpads) online that you pay the money on the post

Post Reply