The Boot vs. Boot Thread

Reviews and discussion about soccer gear
snell
New User

Post by snell » 16 Oct 2010, 15:13

It's new boot day today. And I'm stuck betwenn

adizero f10 Nike ctr

I play seven a side on weekends and a few games with friends mid week so I don't wanna splash major cash on new boots

HelloNey11
New User

Post by HelloNey11 » 25 Oct 2010, 03:25

Good boots for a fullback. Helps with touch and accuracy of passing preferably leather.

adiPURE III
Nike CTR360 Maestri
adidas PREDATOR X
Nike TOTAL90 LASER III

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 12 Mar 2011, 02:49

Hey guys, wouldn't mind some help!

So I'm a speed, dribbling, and agility player. I'm having a tough time choosing between the...

Adidas AdiZero (synthetic) - http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo ... RH=adizero

Mizuno Wave ignitus - http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo ... RH=ignitus

I know that the ignitus's arn't know as a speed boot, but they are only 40g or so heavier then the adizero's, and you also get more comfot tech, Mukaiten tech, and K-leather with them.

But the gay thing is, is that they only have SG's in my size for these two boots :/ and they both look kind of metal to me, and we arn't allowed metal studs, although I could get away with it I guess as they don't regularly check your sole plates.

I've only got a price range of up to like $120.
Everything you need, is already inside.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 12 Mar 2011, 05:56

I personally hate the adizeros and all synthetic boots, go for vapors

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 12 Mar 2011, 06:17

@desire

I've have the mizuno's and had the adizero's for a bit so I'll offer some insight. I personally wouldn't get the mizuno's in SG just because there's a chance you're wasting your money if caught AND you can't use them. They are bright yellow....they tend to get noticed. Even with the FG soleplate, it doesn't have the greatest wet traction imo. They are good boots overall but don't let the weight deceive you....in a 10.5 US, they are roughly 9.5 ounces. The Adizero's are much lighter of course, but I had the leather's for the touch. I bought them a tad too big and then they stretched, hence I sold them. The durability wasn't the greatest and I just felt they were too thin overall(again, personal preference) and the synthetics are even thinner. The only thing I would caution you about the 1st series(purple, yellow, and black) is that the studs were not reinforced as the later series were. The first series studs were only glued on, while the following series(cyan, white, green, all white, all black) had a small rod through the center of the stud to keep the stud on a bit better. Only issue I have with Adidas is they only have a 6 month warranty + you have to keep the receipt AND they are tough to deal with. Nike gives you a 2 year warranty + no receipt + no issues on the return. You send the defective shoes in and get a voucher for the retail cost for Nike.com. That's just my take so I'd probably expand your horizons just a little to avoid any issues.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 12 Mar 2011, 07:08

^ Thanks Tommygun.

Hmm.. well you seem to have had a fair share of boots through the years, so I'll ask.. What would you recommend? I'm a 7.5US at the moment, but won't be able to afford anything to June, so prices might go down. I'll be buying off pro direct as well (UK site, shipping to Australia). Maybe something versatile like Tiempo's? Also, my last boots were V1.08's, I had no complaints with them, they were a great and unique boot, best I've had so far, I just wish I listened to the small sizing for them as I grew out of them weeks after they got here. So I'm thinking I wouldn't mind v1.10's? What do you think?

I'm also fairly petty and psychological about weight, but can't find any weight stat's on the tiempo's, and I think that the v1.10's are about 220g, which isn't too impressive for a speed boot, but still that's better then 300g+ for predators and lasers.

Thanks again.

EDIT: My budget is around preferably $100 (Australian dollar).

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 12 Mar 2011, 08:23

I personally love the CTR's for a number of reasons(it's synthetic so it doesn't absorb moisture as much, nice feel/touch, comfortable, versatile), but that's after trying quite a few boots(almost everything current if I'm being honest). I rotate quite a few but have remain within the same 3 or 4 for the last 5 or 6 months.

I'd assume since you had the 1.08's and liked them, you have a fairly narrow foot? If you liked the 1.08's, it would wouldn't be a large leap to go to the 1.10's if you like the fit/feel. It's usually better to go with what you know, especially if the series hasn't changed very much. The Tiempo's stated weigh is roughly 10.8 ounces or 306 grams(soccer.com). The legends tend tol fit a little wide as well, so that might not be something you'll enjoy if you have a narrow foot. I'd probably suggest the Adipure IV if you wanted to go the leather route, and you can find them for $110 + shipping all over the place.

To give you an idea of how heavy the pred x feels, mine are 13.4 ounces in a 10.5 US, almost twice the weight of my previous adizeros.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 12 Mar 2011, 09:56

hmm.. I'm thinking I'd like to try the V1.10's!, do you know much about the sizing?

My current sh*tty boots - Nike Tiempo Natural II's (I believe) are a perfect fit at a size 7.5US.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 12 Mar 2011, 21:47

I have a wide foot so it's hard to say. I usually have to go up at least a half size for Puma, but it's all dependent on what you're coming from. Depending on your age/foot growth, you might want to go up a half size from your usual/current size. Puma tends to run a bit small, even if you have a narrow-ish foot.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 13 Mar 2011, 02:25

Cheers. Do you have any other suggestions for a boot? Or do you think I'm safe to go with the V1.10's? Thanks.

P.S: That's a BEAST of a shot in your sig' haha ;)

Oh, and do you think that online shops will be putting the prices down for any boots?

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 13 Mar 2011, 02:36

desire10 wrote:Cheers. Do you have any other suggestions for a boot? Or do you think I'm safe to go with the V1.10's? Thanks.

P.S: That's a BEAST of a shot in your sig' haha ;)

Oh, and do you think that online shops will be putting the prices down for any boots?
Again, if the fit suits you on the Puma v series....I say go for it. That's usually half the battle because there are so many different fits and lasts. My foot is too wide for Puma or otherwise I'd have a few pairs myself(I've heard nothing but great things about the SL's but they only go up to 11 US...I'd need a 11.5-12 US at the least). The only one I've found that fits me are the PwrCat's...and I'm just not a fan of them over others.

I always recommend the CTR's just because they are my favorite in any form. I don't mind the Laser's but I've never tried the non-elite version.

You're in Australia, right? Also, what size? I'll look around myself a bit and let you know if I come across some V1.10's or whatever else you're interested in on a great deal.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 13 Mar 2011, 02:53

^ Thanks! :)

I'm from Australia yep, and I'm a size 7.5 (US) in my Tiempo II (naturals, sh*t replica), and they are a perfect fit. So I'd take it I'll want to go a 8 (US) at least for V1.10's.

.. And remember I won't be buying them until June-ish.

Thanks heaps.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 13 Mar 2011, 03:04

where bouts in australia u from im in adelaide which is a sh**hole haha

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 13 Mar 2011, 03:11

ah7 wrote:where bouts in australia u from im in adelaide which is a sh**hole haha
NSW, I'm about 2 hours from Sydney.

And TommyGun, I might of found my answer on a V1 price drop, 'cos the V1.11's have been spotted: http://www.footy-boots.com/puma-v1-11-15765/

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 13 Mar 2011, 04:18

desire10 wrote:
ah7 wrote:where bouts in australia u from im in adelaide which is a sh**hole haha
NSW, I'm about 2 hours from Sydney.

And TommyGun, I might of found my answer on a V1 price drop, 'cos the V1.11's have been spotted: http://www.footy-boots.com/puma-v1-11-15765/
They'll most likely debut for Fall 2011. Most online stores will have large summer clear-outs since it's traditionally the busiest time for soccer retail(July being peak). I think you'll get some great deals on the previous v1.10 colors by then though, as there are quite a few to chose from.