Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

Exercises for improving touch

Here is a sort of basic training plan for improving overall touch and dribbling skills. It is mainly just some good exercises to do. A wall is needed for most of them.

What to do without a friend
1: Stretch out your whole body and take a 2 minute jog.

2: Begin to juggle. Try to juggle in this pattern, low hit-low hit- high hit. The low hits should be at your normal juggling height, while the high hit should be about twice as tall as you are. As the high ball comes down, cushion it and continue juggling without letting it hit the ground. If you have difficulties, then hit the ball a little less high. Try to beat your record.
-Do this for 5 minutes.

3: Have your back to a wall. Throw the ball over your head and turn around. Either settle it and shoot, or volley it. Try to aim at a certain part of the wall. If you can juggle the ball, then hit it over your head with your feet. As the ball returns, settle it and start over.
-Do this for 15 minutes

4: Now go up to the wall about 7 feet away. Hit the ball up about twice-three times your height. As the ball comes down settle it if it is a very akward position, but if not try to continue juggling as it comes down. You can use any part of your body (except your arms of course) to juggle it and trap it.
-Do this for 10 minutes

5: Watch this whole clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2f0rBX30gM Watch it and see how he reacts to the defender. Just watch it until you really understand how to get by a defender.

6: Do JDefoe’s Home Dribbling Program: http://expertfootball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3526

7: Now set up some cones so as to simulate a defense, with people in the back and people in the front, and you have to go through, and then shoot on goal. Really pretend that those cones are people.
-Do this for 10 minutes

All in all this adds up to about a 50-60 minute work out for just imrpoving your all around touch and dribbling skills.

Now what do with a friend
1: Stretch out whole body and take a two minute jog.

2: Start off with a game of soccer-tennis. Soccer-tennis can only be played on hard ground. So find an area and mark off a 5 feet wide by 15 feet rectangle. Put a stick halfway through the rectangle. Now you have a soccer-tennis court. The rules are that the ball can only touch the ground once, and you can only touch the ball 3 times on your side. If the ball touches the ground more than once or you hit the ball up more than three times, the other player gets a point. Play until 15. Also, if you are served a ball so that it is almost rolling on the ground, it is a re-do. Oh yea, and you can use any part of the body (except for hands of course).
-Play this for 15 minutes

3: Have one of you in goal, and the other with the ball. Now this is simulating a break-away. The only rule is that you cannot shoot the ball, you must dribble it into the goal. Switch positions every 3 saves.
-Play this for 15 minutes

4: One of you serve crosses to the other, either with hands or feet. The other can hit the ball into the goal with any part of the body (except for hands). The only catch is that you have to hit it in one of the two designated spots on the sides of the goal. So beforehand mark off two areas of about 4 feet on each side. Try to keep the shot going in low.
-Do this for 15 minutes.

This adds up to about 45 minutes of playing time, although you can add more time onto each game. These three exercises are just fun to do with a friend.

All of these exercises may seem that they don’t have to do with anything about dribbling and touch, but believe me they all will help. Volleying is one of the best ways to improve your first touch, and just touch in general. Dribbling becomes much easier once you already have mastered the ball. Of course try to learn how to do some more moves, like elasticos and stuff, but really concentrate on this stuff more. Need any more help just ask.

Very well made guide. Drills are easy to comprehend and sound (i haven't tried it yet) useful. I'm gonna try it tomorrow when I come home. Thanks for the guide, iwannagopro.

Great work. :D That's something I'm looking for to improve my confidence on the ball.

Nice program i'll try it out today or tomorrow - some time this week cause I got the whole week off. YAY
Again nice work, this will definately help many people. Cheers!

thanks for the info
"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy then everything becomes more of a struggle.”

Adriano

What does the high juggling do? I don't think i've ever heard of this before or seen it done on freestyle videos etc.

harmerdinho wrote:
What does the high juggling do? I don't think i've ever heard of this before or seen it done on freestyle videos etc.

It helps develop your touch. Adjusting and controlling different heights is a huge bonus in soccer since the ball always comes from different heights. It has nothing to do with freestyling.

iwannagopro wrote:
If the ball touches the ground more than once or you hit the ball up more than three times, you get a point.

I'm not sure but I think you would lose a point not gain a point?

oh yea... hehe, guess I was a bit sleepy when I wrote that part, it was the morning. Thanks for pointing it out, now it is changed.

Please make this a sticky. I feel it's an important post that people shouldnt have to search around for.

Ive used this a lot and i think it does help alot, this is a great post make thi sis a sticky people need to see this :D

Not to take away from your guide, it has some useful parts, but I believe using a wall is the best way to develop touch. Many pro players used a wall in their past like Johan Cruyff for example. Adding your friends in to play small sided games is great too.

ageorge wrote:
Not to take away from your guide, it has some useful parts, but I believe using a wall is the best way to develop touch hands down, maximum repititions in the shortest time (using the wall for the majority of things not just using it for 10 minutes and I advise using some of the drills expert gives for the wall.)Many pro players used a wall in their past like Johan Cruyff for example.

You're wrong. The best way to improve your touch is with another person (or more), which iwannagopro covers in his guide.

Ageorge... walls are extremely helpful, but for touch, there are better ways to get more touches on the ball faster. Such as the drills here. I always practice the low-low-high juggling before every training I do, and it is very helpful. As for what real_zidane said, with two people playing soccer-tennis, you can get an extremely good touch just by playing that game. Peace out.

You should do these drills if you have access to a wall!! They improve you really quickly. :D

http://www.expertfootball.com/gossip/answer.php?qid=535

Ok mate... if you think that the wall is a better way to train I'm fine with that. I can't use a wall, so that is why I made this guide. I'm just trying to help out... I'm tired of arguing.