The passing guide

Focus on shooting, passing, headers, crossing, etc
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

The passing guide

Post by Soccer4Life » 09 Oct 2006, 20:59

A recent topic created by megakid1234 requested that someone make a passing guide. I was only too happy to help, so... here we go! You can view the topic here: viewtopic.php?p=63400

Why should I pass the ball?
Passing the ball around defenders makes it harder for them to obtain possestion of the ball. Thus allowing your team more chances to score and make dangerous plays. It also keeps the other team from having chances to make dangerous plays against you. The longer you have possesion of the ball, the more time you have to score. And, the longer you have the ball, the shorter period of time the other team can have the ball. Passing also allows you to give yourself a break from dribbling. Dribbling to much usually leads to fatigue and/or loss of possestion. The ball moves faster than you, so let it do the work! Giving the ball to players positioned in dangerous positions is how you should score most of your goals, so never underestimate passing!

When should I pass the ball?
There are numorous times in the game when you need to pass the ball, and you need to not only know why to pass the ball, but you need to know when to pass the ball. Here are some example situations, try to guess what you need to do with the ball:

Situation 1:
You are dribbling and there are two defenders on you! You see your teammate open for the through ball! What do you think that you should do?

Thats right! you should pass the ball. You are covered, and you teammate is in the position to make a dangerous run. You need to give up the ball in hope that your teammate can score.

Situation 2:
You have just recieved possestion of the ball right outside the box. There is a defender right in front of you, and your teammate is closer to the goal, but is also covered, what do you do?

In 99/100 cases, you need to pull a move and SHOOT! Hold on to the ball this time. If you pass it to your teammate, their defender might get the ball. Don't risk losing possesion.

Situation 3: You are at about midfield, and you have the ball. You aren't facing your own goal, and their is a player from the oposing team on your back! Your defender is in front of you unmarked, should you pass it back to them, or try to turn and dribble forward?

Pass in back to the defender! They have a larger vision of the field then you. They also have more time to act. They can cross the field, play a through ball, or even pass back to you if you make a run!

Now, you should have a good idea of when to keep the ball, and when to pass it. So, lets move on.

How do I pass the ball?
There are many great steps to a perfect pass, and you have to do them all in a fraction of a second! But, don't worry, you can perfect your passing technique with little practice. You may even have it down already! I will break it down into steps so it is easier to understand.

1. Look at your target. If you don't do this, then it is highly unlikly your pass will get to your player, and if it does, how do you know if this player is in a better position then you? Avoid wacking the ball unless you are in a desperate situation. Have a good idea of where your target is, and where other oposing players are around them.

2. Plant the foot that you are not going to pass with (planting foot) firmly on the ground, and direct it towards your intended target. Note that your head should now be looking at your feet. Shift your weight to your planting foot.

3. Swing your passing leg through the ball. Hit it with the center of the inside of your foot. You should be using the inside of your foot because this is the widest part of your foot, therefore hitting it with the inside will give you the most control/accuracy. For the best pass, keep your posture. If you need a really quick and speedy pass, lean foreward. But not too much, or you will lose balance!

4. Follow through with the swing of your leg. Now is when you lift your head up again. Keep looking at your target. As I said before: Don't lean back! Keep your posture throughout all the the steps.

Thats it, thanks for reading, and good luck improving your passing. Questions and Comments gladly accepted.
Last edited by Soccer4Life on 16 Oct 2006, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

megakid1234

Post by megakid1234 » 09 Oct 2006, 21:37

thanks man you the man i was always looking for a guide like this beautiful :D :D :D

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 09 Oct 2006, 22:28

great guide! sure to help! Wow, a lot of users have been posting really great guides lately, namely you and Real-zidane. Cheers mate!

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 09 Oct 2006, 22:42

Nice work! If this attitude keeps up around the forum, we will all be going pro in a couple months. ;)

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 10 Oct 2006, 01:13

Thanks everyone, I'm glad that you like it :D

megakid1234

Post by megakid1234 » 10 Oct 2006, 15:42

yo make it a sticky man if you could

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 10 Oct 2006, 20:39

I think that you have to be a mod to make it sticky :wink:

ezza_44

Post by ezza_44 » 15 Nov 2006, 09:05

Nice guide ;)

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 01 Dec 2006, 19:29

i didnt really look through it but i know how good you are at giving advice. Keep it up. Thankfully passing is my best attribute. Even when i pass the ball badly it still goes to someone its my dad that told me to play CM because im so good at passing. So keep up the practice and soccer4life keep up the great advice.

evaristo0
New User

Post by evaristo0 » 02 Dec 2006, 02:21

nice guide man :)

soccerfool2391
Sophomore Member

Post by soccerfool2391 » 03 Dec 2006, 15:54

awesome guide mate

megakid1234

Post by megakid1234 » 12 Dec 2006, 10:35

well done soccer4life its finally a sticky

alexander_pato
New User

Post by alexander_pato » 23 Dec 2006, 07:53

Well, I got a question. When do u noe u can do a LONG pass instead of of SHORT pass ????? I heard from people that u should always try to vary your type of passes ???? So can someone explain to me how to do a Paul Scholes long pass ??? when to make short passes or through pass ??????

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 27 Dec 2006, 03:22

alexander_pato wrote:Well, I got a question. When do u noe u can do a LONG pass instead of of SHORT pass ????? I heard from people that u should always try to vary your type of passes ???? So can someone explain to me how to do a Paul Scholes long pass ??? when to make short passes or through pass ??????
I have a bit of general advice that you might benefit from. First of all when passing, just go with the flow of the game; don't be thinking to much. Go with your instincts for what type of pass to make. If your team has just made a few short passes in a row, it may be time for a longer pass, or it could be the other way around. You should try to vary your passes, but as I said before: don't think about it too much. Pass to someone who is open, don't force a long pass when someone isn't really open just to vary your type of pass.

Hope this helps you some.

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 27 Dec 2006, 03:55

i might make a long pass guide when i come back from JA and have mastered it. So see you then.

Oh that wouldnt be till like the 12th of january