Implementing skills in games

How much and what skills to practice
joewest439
New User

Implementing skills in games

Post by joewest439 » 28 Jul 2016, 13:01

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on how to implement things learnt in training, in actual games. Over the past 9 months or so, I've been training alone on a mini five a side court, focusing on things I've always been lacking in, such as dribbling, left foot usage, left foot passing, and various skills. I've made great progress, given that these are all attributes that I simply did not have in the locker whatsoever before. The problem I have is that no matter how much I hone these new skills alone, I can never seem to actually implement them when it comes to any form of game, be it 11 a side or even 4 a side against inferior opposition. During these games, I keep telling myself to incorporate what I've learned, but it never seems to feel relevant to the game in currently playing in. I've definitely improved from the extra solitary training, but am frustrated how infrequently I use techniques I know I can pull off when it matters. Any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

expert
Site Admin

Re: Implementing skills in games

Post by expert » 28 Jul 2016, 14:14

Hello Joe, and welcome to the forums.
Do you practice drills when you go out training? One thing you could try is working on specific drills so that way it will be easier for you during team practice. And once it becomes easier for you in practice, it will eventually become easier for you in games. However, you need to work on your drills at full speed especially when you're alone. It doesn't have to be that complicated, 10-15 minutes of running, followed by 2-3 sets of drills and you'll see improvements in a matter of weeks.
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're making progress, especially when your team is not doing well, so don't get discouraged. If you put in the work and the level of intensity is decent, then you'll see improvements in many areas including your conditioning as well as your skills.
Good luck!

joewest439
New User

Post by joewest439 » 28 Jul 2016, 15:58

Thanks for the reply and yes I do practice some drills when I train alone, and I only do train alone these days as I am not currently affiliated with a 11 a side team, just 3 different 7 a side groups.

I had a real bad habit of not looking up when on the ball, so have addressed that recently by practicing dribbling all around the court I train on, forcing myself to keep my head up, so it becomes second nature.

I'm trying to do the same with dribbling (I have another bad habit of only using my right foot when doing so).

When it comes to left foot passing / shooting - I just cannot strike the ball with the instep. It always seems to hit my big toe instead. It's almost as if my body cannot twist appropriately the way it does for my right foot.

As for drills, I do use cones to do basic in and out through the cones drills, as well as placing cones at random and then trying to manoeuvre the ball around them. I would like to hear other useful drills though, if you know any you'd recommend? I seem to get quite good at ball control when I'm training alone but when an actual defender is standing up to me on the wing I can become indecisive and turn into a rabbit in the headlights lol

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 29 Jul 2016, 15:26

Cool, sounds like you know what you're doing. :)
If you're looking for specific drills,
there's quite a lot of information
both on the site and the forums.

Leo Andres messi
New User

Post by Leo Andres messi » 01 Aug 2016, 13:14

The same problem goes to me but I'll COPE it as it is posted to dribble around the court keeping head up ,but the major problem of mine is when I dribble the ball I dribble it crazy ..I do not have an control over changing pace like if I go on 1v1 defender first I come to him fastly and slows down I want to feint him and take the ball away with fast speed but what happens as I reach the defender slowly and change PACE with direction I do it so slowly that the defender snatches the ball from me ..I want to master in changing pace and direction ,,can anyone tell me which drills should I use to master in changing pace and direction..I can use my both foots and can so step over but I like to master in changing pace from slow to fast ...please help me with some drills that I can do alone

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 08 Aug 2016, 08:57

Generally speaking, going around defenders is something you only try once or twice during a game - usually so you can shoot or cross the ball. There are drills you can do to improve your dribbling, but you want to focus on moving with the ball rather than going around defenders. Dribbling and sprinting go hand in hand. In the long term, it's certainly possible to improve your speed/agility but it's one of those thing you have to work on all the time.

joewest439
New User

Post by joewest439 » 08 Aug 2016, 12:05

Agreed, actually beating a defender isn't always necessary, depending on the position being played.

I can definitely relate to Leo's post regarding trouble with changing direction at high speed whilst dribbling, I tend to slow down to almost a halt when confronted by a defender too.

I think it is a good training exercise for one to maybe practice ball control at a slow pace, using cones as pretend defenders, and gradually increase the overall speed of the manoeuvres used to skip past them.

For now, I have to more or less force myself to incorporate the things I learn in training during games, but I believe they will eventually become second nature and thus will do them automatically in the end. Until then, every use of the skills seems somewhat 'robotic' and unnatural.

Leo Andres messi
New User

Post by Leo Andres messi » 12 Aug 2016, 19:56

Firstly i play as a stiker..(1)Going around the ball you mean moving away from defender to an empty gap or space from where should I pass the ball to another player ?????
(2) you have mentioned to dribble and Sprint ..I want to ask that I can Sprint with the ball and can manage to keep close to my feet at straight forward long run my dribbiling speed is fast than my sprinting speed believe me . ..can I skip sprinting and only do dribbiling at fast speed in order to maximise my dribbiling skills...like if I am training 4 hours for my speed ,I spent 2 hours for sprinting and another 2 hours for dribbiling..on the other hand can I only dribble at fast pace all the 4 hours...will this will increase my pace and makes me agile ??
(3)does you mean that in order to enhance speed√agility I should only focus and do dribbiling during my whole practise time .. By quiting shooting,passing and a match...and joewest is also right that these things seems as robotics because they are not efficiently used during a match ...I think practising greatly matters but menatal strength plays a huge part in implementation of skills during a game ...

dksaluki
New User

Post by dksaluki » 17 Sep 2016, 21:56

I have the same problem. I can receive the ball and pass it around just fine...I can even dribble around cones just fine when on my own. BUT....in a game, it's different. I need to practice that really light touch and sharp cuts. Maybe practice more running around with the ball and not so many cone drills? does anyone have any good drills for better running around with the ball and cutting in front of defenders??? Practicing cones too much makes me get too close to the defenders as if they are the cones, and they just stick their leg out and take it every time! frustrating. please help. thanks.