Never the same.

How to treat and prevent soccer-related injuries
Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Never the same.

Post by Zlatan5 » 12 Dec 2012, 08:47

So, literally the day of my birthday last year I went to strike a ball during some routine long range passing, and my plant-foot took a slip causing my striking foot to severely come up short of the ball causing me to essentially drag my foot through the grass rolling/spraining it in the process. Oddly enough the sprain itself only had me on crutches for about 3 or 4 days. But, I was physically incapable of striking a ball, let alone settle a pass with even moderate pace without the weight of the pass twisting my ankle, thus causing excruciating pain. It was like this for roughly 3 months, and even for the next few months afterwards, any heavily weighted pass that I received in which I wasn't consciously flexing my ankle to support against the weight of the touch would hurt pretty bad. Fast forward a year to now, after intense sessions whether it be indoor, or just normal field play, I can feel somewhat of like a resistant sensation, like a feeling that your ankle has a knuckle that wants to pop, which of course I relieve by rotating my ankle continuously till I pop it a few times to relieve the stress in it. It's more or less a niggling pain I feel, I usually just play through it, and if I feel it badly I'll just pop my ankle.

Long story short, my ankle has never been the same, the range of motion it once had is not there. And being that my brother and father are doctors both, they just give me the "yeah you just sprained it bad, you'll be fine" treatment, which kinda pisses me off because I initially wanted to get an MRI to see if I tore any ligaments, which I think I did, at least minorly. Anyways, I just thought I'd share with you guys one of my thankfully, very few injuries. Morale of the story, tape your ankles and keep those suckers safe.

expert
Site Admin

Re: Never the same.

Post by expert » 12 Dec 2012, 13:14

Yes, I totally hear you man. As you get older you get a bunch of these nagging injuries. This probably won't be your last one either, especially if you keep playing on a regular basis. So yeah, nothing you can [do] really except stay fit and learn to tolerate it. The worst injuries are the ones involving your joints - ankles, hips and knees. Those ones usually tend to stay with you for a while. :(

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 12 Dec 2012, 13:58

I hate those types of injuries. I have a similar problem with my hip. countless atw's have resulted in my hip hurting at random times. I also have to move it around until it pops to make the pain go away.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 12 Dec 2012, 19:32

Too true...oddly enough a lot of people hurt their ankles in highschool...I always stressed how sturdy my ankles were too. The irony...