Lower Back Pain

How to treat and prevent soccer-related injuries
desire10
Veteran Member

Lower Back Pain

Post by desire10 » 02 Jun 2011, 07:50

My lower back, on both sides (so the muscles, not the spine in the center) has been getting more and more stiff/sore recently.

I'm not quite sure why though, it's been going on for a couple of months now.

It hurts the most when I start my warm-up, going for my initial jog. It hurts on contact with the ground, but ones I work a bit of sweat and loosen up it's alright. It hurts a little through general activities like bending. It also hurts when jumping, but one again the severity depends on how warmed-up I am.

I remember I started doing a static stretch on my back (cobra stretch) for my cool down, and it started hurting a little since doing that (which I therefore stopped doing as a result). I doubt this is related though.

This may also be irrelevant, but I often have to walk around extensively with two bags - my school back-pack and my training bag via the shoulder strap.
Everything you need, is already inside.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 02 Jun 2011, 09:30

Pretty normal for teenagers. Have you had a growth spurt recently? Because what happens is, your mucles/cartlidge are smaller and compact to support your spine, but when you grow theese get stretched out and become longer and weaker. Posture is the most important thing, that is really vital to help you as you grow, but the pains are normal iirc , sucks i know :/

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 03 Jun 2011, 06:11

Thanks.

Does everyone agree that it's just growing pains? Nothing to worry about?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 03 Jun 2011, 06:15

we can't say that over the internet only a doctor could but unless it gets worse i guess you can chalk it up to that.

ah7

Post by ah7 » 16 Jun 2011, 12:58

If you are having back pain what you have to do is turn to left side and sleep straight and when ever you are exercising use a belt try these things out and get cure soon.
And you have to get fu**ed :)

Met

Re: Lower Back Pain

Post by Met » 16 Jun 2011, 17:51

desire10 wrote:My lower back, on both sides (so the muscles, not the spine in the center) has been getting more and more stiff/sore recently.

I'm not quite sure why though, it's been going on for a couple of months now.

It hurts the most when I start my warm-up, going for my initial jog. It hurts on contact with the ground, but ones I work a bit of sweat and loosen up it's alright. It hurts a little through general activities like bending. It also hurts when jumping, but one again the severity depends on how warmed-up I am.

I remember I started doing a static stretch on my back (cobra stretch) for my cool down, and it started hurting a little since doing that (which I therefore stopped doing as a result). I doubt this is related though.

This may also be irrelevant, but I often have to walk around extensively with two bags - my school back-pack and my training bag via the shoulder strap.
I'm speaking from experience. I've been in many little bicycle crashes, played many contact sports thereby sustaining multiple clashes, (after one distinct rugby game, I couldn't walk, every step pain shot up my back, saw the doctor and he gave me pain killers and sent me on my way), been in a vehicle accident. Now I don't when it happened, but my pelvic bone twisted and since then my body has compensated for it. Muscles and my CNS doing unnatural things.

Saw a physio and though it brought me temporary relief, my body showed signs of not being completely healed. Even after a month of hardly any exercise, still my back hurt when I was doing odd chores.

Thought it was too much, looked at osteopathy/acunpuncture/ chiropracter. If they didn't sort it out, I was gonna demand surgery. However, it seemed very expensive but I don't think I can put a price on peace of mind. It will take 3 months to fully recover, but even that's not guranteed. If I don't respond to treatment, I might need to go see a dentist and I don't know what will happen there. He compared my current position as if I was a car and my CNS and muscles were on the rev limit, the red line, normally. But as soon as I want more from them, e.g. bending over for awhile, running for ages my muscles winge and wine and moan and complain. That's why I get back pain as soon as I do something for a while, even sweeping the floor, and get cramps on my calves. Like a car, if I rev it too much, the engine will blow, so if I keep doing this to my body, it's going to catastrophically breakdown.

Thing's like stretching, and strengthening exercises are good, only if you don't have underlying problems. Infact if you do, they do more harm then good. Trying to stretch out a really overworked muscle, trying to tense/contract/strengthen an already highly tense muscle can only do one thing.

Doctors/GPs aren't that helpful. They just gatekeepers, deciding who is ill enough to live with it and those who aren't.

I cannot stress enough that you need to get to the root of the problem before you can effectively solve it.

I don't exactly know why I've typed out such a long post. Maybe I'm trying to convince you, that if you love football then you will love to be a position/condition that will allow you to play for your rest of your life, if you want to play football for the rest of your life, you need to maintain it properly, beginning as soon as possible, preferably, before you even start. I wish I could do a reset button and undo all wrong things I did to my body, alas I can't so I have to spend a bit of time trying to clean the slate as it were. I'm inspired when I see the old grey haired folk that play in my Saturday league and they are pretty good, technically speaking of course. Also, I feel like I'm not playing no where near my full potential, I won't go near it unless I sort these issues out.

I'm only 19 and I probably, come across as if I'm a lot older. It's just at this age I've already had to suffer setbacks, including sitting out spells without playing football due to pain being unbearable. It's my body's only way of crying out to me that's something's wrong and I'll continue to sit out if I don't listen and react appropriately.

To sum up, if you do skip everything, lower back pain is a symptom. You need to find a definite cause for it. Do not skimp out on treatment. It's your body and it's priceless. Get advice from 2 differently, highly qualified health professionals, I suggest a physio who deals with sports/spines and a chiropracter.

Goodbye and good luck,
Met :wink:

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 16 Jun 2011, 20:51

Thanks mate!

Well, the pain is subsiding at the moment, but if it persists, I'll let you know on this thread.

Sherard
New User

Re: Lower Back Pain

Post by Sherard » 13 Mar 2014, 12:20

Hi Desire,
To cure lower back pain, try therapeutic exercises but stop doing exercises that put pressure on the spinal cord. Massage and stretch several times a day if you can. Lose unwanted body weight and have good posture.
Doctors Studio
Lisbeth Roy, D.O.
6400 N Andrews Avenue Suite 120
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
561 - 444 - 7751