Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

UK General Election

ratherton wrote:
I'm genuinely curious - how did you come to that conclusion about Brown?

Because I felt he answered the questions with more confidence, more intelligence, and more political, social and economic understanding than the other candidates.

Basically.

Cameron would do well to try and actually, y'know, mention his own policies in these debates. All he is doing is playing the "labour was well shit" card (a pretty strong card, in all fairness) and failing to address the questions with any real substance.

Quick (potentially daft) query, but what voting system do you guys have in the UK? First past the post, MMP...?
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

LiveTheDream wrote:
Quick (potentially daft) query, but what voting system do you guys have in the UK? First past the post, MMP...?

First past the post with 646 seats. The constituency boundaries are in Labour's favour so they need a smaller percentage of the votes to gain the most seats. The Lib Dems have absolutely no chance of forming a government.

Magicfeet: There is no doubt Gordon Brown believes 100% in what he is doing and is able to answer with confidence...but so did Hitler. It didn't make him right.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Comparisons with Hitler?

Pffft.

Magicfeet wrote:
Comparisons with Hitler?

Pffft.

Ok, maybe a bit of a harsh comparison but my point was that just because some answers questions or makes statements with confidence and authority doesn't make him right. All it means is that they strongly believe in what they are saying.

Brown has singled handedly destroyed the UK economy with a number of stupid decisions.

The Labour party have also drastically eroding Civil Liberties in the UK. Did you know it is now illegal to take a photo of a policeman?

There is a film called "Taking Liberties". You should be able to find it online somewhere. Its worth watching.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Single handedly destroyed the economy?

Pffft, I say! :)

I'm not going to back up my reasons for my political beliefs on here - it's ultimately a pointless endeavour on an internet forum and it will no doubt just lead to us running round in circles - but I'll just say I disagree with you on this. I'm no Labour apologist but I certainly don't think the Conservatives are the right government to take control of the country at this point in time.

I'm only really in this thread to report my thoughts on the live debates, which are a necessary and fascinating addition to the electoral campaign.

Ratherton wrote:
Why have you brought the Conservatives into this? We were discussing Gordon Brown.

Ahahaha. Why did I mention the Conservatives in a thread about UK politics? Are you serious?

As I said, I'm not in this thread to debate political ideologies or to try and justify my own political views (whatever they may be). I'm here to discuss the debates themselves.

EDIT: Ooooh, bugger... I accidentally edited your post rather than replying. Sorry 'bout that, chap.

Basically Ratherton had listed a long list of reasons why Brown has screwed up the economy.

Carry on,

Magicfeet. (lol).

Been quite a dull affair so far tonight. Cameron is doing a lot better than in previous debates, that's for sure.

Nobody has really shone though.

I just heard them call Brown's gaffe "bigot-gate".

Seriously? Seriously? Wtf.

Watergate is to "bigot-gate" as 9/11 is to public vandalism, I want to kill a journalist right now just for the arrogance it takes to say something that stupid.
www.mission-control.tumblr.com

Hugh wrote:
I just heard them call Brown's gaffe "bigot-gate".

Seriously? Seriously? Wtf.

Watergate is to "bigot-gate" as 9/11 is to public vandalism, I want to kill a journalist right now just for the arrogance it takes to say something that stupid.

I don't know how much you saw but the whole story was a day long car crash.

There are 4 video clips on YouTube to watch:

1. When Brown is chatting to Mrs Duffy before getting in the car and getting caught while the mic was still on.

2. Watching the poor women's reaction when the reporter told her what Brown had just said. I don't agree with her politics but she is a genuine, honest lady and was obviously hurt and upset.

3. The best clip is when Brown did a show on Radio 2. There was a camera on him as the present played him the tape. At this stage, Brown didn't even realise he had been recorded.

4. The final clip is when he drove back up to Rochdale to apologise to her. He spent 40 mins in the house, presumably trying to persuade her to come outside for a photo which she refused. He stood there saying how mortified he was with that retarded grin on his face.

I couldn't believe I was watching the actions of a man who is the leader of a major country.

In the evening he got battered in the final leaders debate and after that, the governments "Website Minister" (or whatever stupid job title they have) managed to break the law by posting part of the result of the postal votes for one of the seats - Bristol East. The police are investigating as the crime does carry a prison sentence.

ratherton wrote:
Ratherton wrote:
Why have you brought the Conservatives into this? We were discussing Gordon Brown.

Ahahaha. Why did I mention the Conservatives in a thread about UK politics? Are you serious?

As I said, I'm not in this thread to debate political ideologies or to try and justify my own political views (whatever they may be). I'm here to discuss the debates themselves.

EDIT: Ooooh, bugger... I accidentally edited your post rather than replying. Sorry 'bout that, chap.

Basically Ratherton had listed a long list of reasons why Brown has screwed up the economy.

Carry on,

Magicfeet. (lol).

Outrageous censorship :wink:

I loved how he tried to make a joke about it in the debate following.

That would be the same as a terrorist which planned 9/11, who was about to be put to death, jokingly saying "well we all make mistakes huh :D "
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I heard on the interwebs that it was a Sky News mic that was left on Brown. Sky who are owned by Murdoch (who owns pretty much all the media in the UK). Who supports the Conservative party. /conspiracy theory over.. gotta love the internet for conspiracy theories.

It's all bullshit anyway. The media have been out to hang him from the start - He's entitled to voice his thoughts in private. It's hardly like he called her "a smelly bigoted fuckwit" to her face, is it?

I'm very disappointed that the Conservatives look like a shoe-in. Looks like we're in this for the long haul. Oh well... hopefully we'll see some change for the better, though I am very worried about Cameron. He's always come across as being all PR with no substance.

Prove me wrong, Cammers. Prove me wrong.

Please.

The mic was owned by Sky by the feed was syndicated to all news agencies. The BBC were the ones that were first to play him the recording live on the radio without any warning.

He may well be entitled to his private thoughts but just remember that his government are quite happy to allow all sorts of civil liberty violations in the name of "war on terror". We have CCTV camera everywhere, they want our DNA, biometric info, have the right to tap our phones and view our emails.

The important thing is that it gave an insight into Brown. The interview wasn't really a disaster. Mrs Duffy didn't express any outrageous views and there was no reason to brand her a bigot. If he let something so trivial upset him, he really isn't a person I want representing Britain when dealing with other world leaders.

I think Cameron is more certain of a majority now than he was a couple of days ago. The local paper in Ipswich suggests Labour will lose this seat and its been under their control for a long time. The sample poll put the Tory guy 10% ahead. The LibDems were only about 2% behind Labour.

If that is reflected, it will be a comfortable victory for Cameron. If that happens, Labour will be the opposition party and there will be no chance of electoral reform. The Lib Dems 15 minutes will be over.

Cameron's PR background does worry me but I liked a lot of what he said on the economy. I just don't trust him or any of the Tories on Europe which is why he isn't getting my vote. However, until he gets his opportunity, we will never know. The only thing you can point to his that he did act pretty quickly over the expenses for Tory MPs.

Yes he acted fast over the expenses thing, but the reality is that he probably knew before hand and only acted quickly when it got put out into the media because he know everyone was fucked and he was jumping overboard by trying to make himself look slightly better.

I'm not old enough to vote, but if I could I would vote Lib Dems.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.