Login

Username:

Password:

Join the community

Don't have a forum account yet? We need you to join the discussion! It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up.

Recently, part of the EF community has migrated to the Soccer Shouts forums.

The Positional Attack

I've decided to try and give some tips for a well planned attack. The point of a positional or planned attack is to make progress up the pitch where the final objective is to shoot at goal from the best possible position.

here are some tips:

- Risky passes should be avoided in order to keep possession of the ball, even if this means passing it backwards as many times as necessary.

- Achieve numerical superiority near and around the ball as often as possible.

- Reduce the number of runs with the ball and avoid 1v1 situations; instead, pass the ball to a well-positioned teammate with better opportunities to continue the move. (yes that means less flashy moves)

- Develop good play off the ball. It is particularly important for players to support the man on the ball. A player does 98% of his work during a game without the ball and this work is vital for success.

- Positional attacks require the collaboration of all the players in the team, regardless of which position they play.

- When the attacking move involves three players they should always play in a triangle. If 4 players are involved, a rhombus, and if five, a pentagonal shape is the ideal formation. (Bet you didn't know that one, eh? ;))

- You should always, if possible, pass the ball forwards rather than to the side or backwards, but the golden rule, regardless of the type of pass played, is never risk losing possession.

- It's also very important that you make eye contact and visual agreement with teammates if they have the ball, or if you have the ball.

Well, there are some tips for a well-planned attack. If you try and follow those, you will clearly see an advancement in your game intelligence. (hopefully)

comments, feedback, and suggestions are welcome :)

Good job on those 'must-stick-into-Ur-head' in-game personal rules.

Seriously, this is often overlooked as people often go looking for one 'fantastic' pass or something but at the end of the day, "it takes two hands to clap" if U wanna end result to be a goal.

For me, I don't care of the scoreline as long as my team is on level term or leading. I always apply this rule so that we won't tire ourselves throut the game, esp when we're playing on a big field. These are the things we odd to watch out for for every game.

Quote:
Reduce the number of runs with the ball and avoid 1v1 situations; instead, pass the ball to a well-positioned teammate with better opportunities to continue the move. (yes that means less flashy moves)

For this, I totally agree. My teammates who often take on the entire defence will eventually get tired.

Quote:
Develop good play off the ball. It is particularly important for players to support the man on the ball. A player does 98% of his work during a game without the ball and this work is vital for success.

When my team was unbeatable way back in 2001, I realised that the younger me tend to run off the ball so that my playmaker can get his marker off his back and he wld be free when my one-two pass goes back to him. He was the top-scorer then. Scoring 13 goals in 12 games. All thanks to the team's effort.

Quote:
When the attacking move involves three players they should always play in a triangle. If 4 players are involved, a rhombus, and if five, a pentagonal shape is the ideal formation. (Bet you didn't know that one, eh? Wink)

Hey!! I watch United always and they like to play triangle!

Quote:
It's also very important that you make eye contact and visual agreement with teammates if they have the ball, or if you have the ball.

Communication is all it takes.

yea i have to agree, this is a really good set of rules for in-game play. I think that real-zidane should at least earn some stars, as this is the best tactical thing I have seen posted on the site.

I agree with everything you said for the most part. Excellent post! But when you said:

Quote:
You should always, if possible, pass the ball forwards rather than to the side or backwards, but the golden rule, regardless of the type of pass played, is never risk losing possession.

Is being more 'risky' okay when there is a goal scoring oprotunity? Because my coach always says "the rules change in the box". I understand not risking to lose the ball elsewhere on the field, but in your opinion is it okay to make a risky pass if the player is positioned somewhere where they might score? I always look for an alternative, but some passes like that can have a big pay-off.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Feel free to add something you feel should be recognized.

And to answer your question, soccer4life, the point of the planned attack is to find someone in the best position to score a goal. In my opinion, that would be the only reason to play a risky pass. You have to seize your chance before it goes away.

Okay, thanks, I was unsure.

Wow very good post. :wink:
Barcelona wins it all!

Real_Zidane wrote:
- Risky passes should be avoided in order to keep possession of the ball, even if this means passing it backwards as many times as necessary.

- Reduce the number of runs with the ball and avoid 1v1 situations; instead, pass the ball to a well-positioned teammate with better opportunities to continue the move. (yes that means less flashy moves)

- You should always, if possible, pass the ball forwards rather than to the side or backwards, but the golden rule, regardless of the type of pass played, is never risk losing possession.

Everything you said is exact to me except for these three things. First off, while you should generally try to keep possession, there comes a time where you need to be a bit risky, in specific threading a through ball to a striker. Occasionally, you need to risk that hollywood ball in able to pick through a particularly tough defense.

Also, the one v. one situations can go either way. You should almost never attempt to dribble through five people C. Ronaldo style, as there will definately be people open, yet when the defense is spread out and there is only one defender coming toward you, you should take him on until people start to close in on you, which is when passes will open up. To just say never to dribble at players is too vague in this complex game.

Other than that, good post, and it is very important for lots of fast improving beginners and also seasoned players could benefit by reenforcing their mental game.

God damn brewery!!!

mpcarres14 wrote:
Real_Zidane wrote:

Everything you said is exact to me except for these three things. First off, while you should generally try to keep possession, there comes a time where you need to be a bit risky, in specific threading a through ball to a striker. Occasionally, you need to risk that hollywood ball in able to pick through a particularly tough defense.

Also, the one v. one situations can go either way. You should almost never attempt to dribble through five people C. Ronaldo style, as there will definately be people open, yet when the defense is spread out and there is only one defender coming toward you, you should take him on until people start to close in on you, which is when passes will open up. To just say never to dribble at players is too vague in this complex game.

Other than that, good post, and it is very important for lots of fast improving beginners and also seasoned players could benefit by reenforcing their mental game.

I agree with you when you say risky passes are sometimes necessary to change the score of a game. But, in a well-planned attack, a risky pass should not be necessary. Strikers and midfielders should be in a good position that will not risk losing possesion.

I personally think that risky passes should be avoided when our attack build-up is slow. Unless we are just outside of the penalty area, I don't mind trying. But then again, I will always choose an open player so that he has got time to think of what to do with the ball next while I go for a better attacking position.

Great Post. I think by never play risky balls he means never play a ball that could result in you conceding eg. Giving away possession easily in the defensive third. But creativity in the final third is fine.