Dubstep

Music, movies and everything related to popular culture
Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 25 Mar 2011, 19:30

I don't follow dubstep but I can't help but notice how it has become so popular. I have to ask, is it just a fad?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 28 Mar 2011, 06:31

Croatianblood1 wrote:I don't follow dubstep but I can't help but notice how it has become so popular. I have to ask, is it just a fad?
I would have to say no, because at any point you could consider a number of electronic music genres to be a fad. Trance, house, DnB... they all went through phases where they were more popular and mainstream then at other points. Then these genres reach a point where they are so much in the mainstream and the limelight that countless producers start putting out tracks imitating the tracks which have been accepted and embraced by the people you'd consider "outside the scene." This is where dubstep is right now.

Dubstep has been around for several years but only now are many of the so called "plastic" kids getting into it. (By this I mean the posh brostep loving kids who only really appreciate it when combined with some sort of drug and played at a party scene).

Eventually its overall popularity will fade but there is an underground culture of people who have embraced dubstep from the beginning and will continue to do so. These days, with SO many electronic artists switching from whatever style of music they used to produce to now producing dubstep, it just means to find the gems you have to make more of an effort to sift through the BS tracks with no substance that attempt to copy the dubstep which has hit the mainstream (see the ridiculous number of dj's who have tried to imitate caspa's signature wobble sound).

Dubstep is the evolution of dub and UK Grime/Garage/2step and simply the latest progression in electronic music. It's not going to fade away but it will certainly not always be as popular as it is, and it will evolve into something else in the future. Thus is the cycle of life in electronic music, as far as my humble opinion goes :wink:
Click it

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 02 Apr 2011, 14:16

ajc wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:I don't follow dubstep but I can't help but notice how it has become so popular. I have to ask, is it just a fad?
I would have to say no, because at any point you could consider a number of electronic music genres to be a fad. Trance, house, DnB... they all went through phases where they were more popular and mainstream then at other points. Then these genres reach a point where they are so much in the mainstream and the limelight that countless producers start putting out tracks imitating the tracks which have been accepted and embraced by the people you'd consider "outside the scene." This is where dubstep is right now.

Dubstep has been around for several years but only now are many of the so called "plastic" kids getting into it. (By this I mean the posh brostep loving kids who only really appreciate it when combined with some sort of drug and played at a party scene).

Eventually its overall popularity will fade but there is an underground culture of people who have embraced dubstep from the beginning and will continue to do so. These days, with SO many electronic artists switching from whatever style of music they used to produce to now producing dubstep, it just means to find the gems you have to make more of an effort to sift through the BS tracks with no substance that attempt to copy the dubstep which has hit the mainstream (see the ridiculous number of dj's who have tried to imitate caspa's signature wobble sound).

Dubstep is the evolution of dub and UK Grime/Garage/2step and simply the latest progression in electronic music. It's not going to fade away but it will certainly not always be as popular as it is, and it will evolve into something else in the future. Thus is the cycle of life in electronic music, as far as my humble opinion goes :wink:
Thank you for the reply. The reason I asked is because I have noticed this whole brostep thing you mentioned. Alot of people I know have started going to dubstep shows and doing ecstasy or the extract from ecstasy known as molly.

Like any other genre of music, you have to sift through the bs and listen to the good stuff. I may check out some dubstep now! Thanks for your opinion ajc! :D

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 07 Apr 2011, 07:38

No problem dude :wink:

Here is a track that is yet to be released- the only footage of it I could find comes from a live show but the audio quality is pretty decent. The second half of this song is beyond filthy.

World on Fire- Flinch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2nnOTzBF_8
Click it