Fight Club and its teachings....

Music, movies and everything related to popular culture
panchester07
Veteran Member

Fight Club and its teachings....

Post by panchester07 » 06 Oct 2010, 05:06

Surprisingly I just saw Fight Club today for the first time, just a few hours ago... I gotta say I enjoyed the movie a lot... I knew it was epic, and it was more than just a good guy vs bad guy fight movie of the sort of Never Back down or something..... I found it has many teachings and lessons, plus its an interesting movie, filled with action and exciting moments... Its a sick movie with lots of lessons to it basically thats why I think its a must watch for every male, and I'd place it among the epicness levels of Scarface, City of God, and a few others....

It teaches a lot of things, but I think the main lessons of the movie are:

1) Have the courage to be the legendary and leave mediocreness... Tyler Durden constantly attacks with his comments and attitudes the mediocre people that comform with sh*tty lives when they have everything they need to live the life of their dreams.... For example the quote "a whole generation pumping gas, waiting tables....." or how he grabs the little asian dude and points the 9mm behind his head, "in 3 weeks im gonna check on you, and I want you to be a veterinary" ... All he's doing is pressuring him and pusshing him to use his talents to pursuit the life of his dreams.....I recall the quote “This is your life and it’s ending one minute at a time"... really makes you think, quit being average and go get what you want...And also when Tyler Durden threatens to crash his car against a truck at high speeds if Edward Norton doesn't reply what he would regret not doing in his life if he died tday.... Many many cool things in the movie that make you think, and the lesson is go for your ambitions.. Don't work on jobs you hate, don't waste your talent, life is short so chase your dream causse you have everything you need..

2) Your material possesions end up possesing you... Edward Norton's character, I think Jack was his name lived in an apartment, with perfect furniture, beautiful sofa's, the nicest dishes and glasses, etc... Once his apartment is exploded he looses every material possesion, and moves to a sh*tty house with Tyler Durden... He has no cmputer, no Television, no nothing, but its when surprisinly he's the most freest, he feels free, looks free, and if you analyze it he is free.. He doesn't have the burdens of material possesions that just are in reality a weight for you..Fight club teaches you that you are not what you own, not the car you drive, not how much money you make... Many people in the world measure themselves with what they have, and the movie rejects that way of thinking that really does not lead to happiness..

3) fu** martha stewart.. haha who ever that is..

What else do you guys reckon are the lessons that are tought in the movie?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 20 Jan 2011, 01:44

I think this quote sums up the idea of the movie best:

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. Working jobs we hate so we can buy sh*t we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

I think the reason fight club grew when Tyler created it was to give all these frustrated men an outlet for their aggression and anger. We're designed to be hunters but we've become consumers. We have no great wars or depression to affirm our masculinity.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 20 Jan 2011, 02:53

"All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you want to look, I fu** like you want to fu**, I am smart, capable and most of all I am free, in all of the ways you are not."

My favourite line of the film. If you want to be different, then be different.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.