The Socccer Project

Music, movies and everything related to popular culture
MSILancer7
Veteran Member

The Socccer Project

Post by MSILancer7 » 22 Apr 2009, 20:56

Anybody ever heard of this before. It's a documentary with two college soccer players, that didn't make it pro, who travel the world and play pickup soccer
Check out the website
http://thesoccerproject.com/

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 22 Apr 2009, 22:41

I love this idea! I believe they made a short documentary style video and entered it into a contest. If they win they will get the money and equipment to finish the documentary. I saw the video and it was amazing!!! Seeing kids from Africa, making a ball out of plastic,string,and a sock, they seemed so happy. It goes own to show kids and adults men and women, playing soccer from all different countries. Great project. I hope they can make a full documentary.

Gwen played for Santos in Brazil, thats pretty cool.

I found the video http://vimeo.com/3885949

How can people not love this sport!!!

I loved the girl from Palestine who said if she was President she would allow all girls to play football.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 22 May 2009, 02:46

I actually found this last summer by accident but wrote it off as something that would never come to fruition. Serves me right. Props for the link MSILancer7 and for the video link arsenalfc08. :D

evo

Post by evo » 22 May 2009, 08:44

Football's a language that the whole world speaks, no matter where you go you can just get a ball, set-up posts and everyone knows what to do.

That thing looks really good, I saw something similar once where a group of Scottish guys took a year out after uni and travelled the world helping locals set up football pitches and getting games together, it was called the worlds game or something (I'll try to find it). They went to africa and built a pitch half way between two tribal villages who had falling out and not spoken for 15 years, then they invited both the villages to come and play football and you can guess what happened, they played a good game and all made up and now they play a game every week.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 28 May 2011, 16:34

The Soccer Project is now a full length movie called Pelada (pick up)

You can buy the movie from the website or download it from iTunes http://www.pelada-movie.com/

It is an awesome movie!! I downloaded it from iTunes for $15 and it was worth every penny.

It starts out with one of the filmmakers aunt's telling him to give up this soccer stuff and go to law school. She says "there is no magic to soccer". Then he and his girlfriend go to all these countries to play pick up games and film and you just see how much soccer means to them.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 28 May 2011, 23:44

evo wrote:Football's a language that the whole world speaks, no matter where you go you can just get a ball, set-up posts and everyone knows what to do.

That thing looks really good, I saw something similar once where a group of Scottish guys took a year out after uni and travelled the world helping locals set up football pitches and getting games together, it was called the worlds game or something (I'll try to find it). They went to africa and built a pitch half way between two tribal villages who had falling out and not spoken for 15 years, then they invited both the villages to come and play football and you can guess what happened, they played a good game and all made up and now they play a game every week.
Love this.
Everything you need, is already inside.