my ankle injury

How to treat and prevent soccer-related injuries
scottS4
Veteran Member

my ankle injury

Post by scottS4 » 18 Aug 2011, 21:21

last friday i hurt my ankle in a game. it was a typical inverted roll, but i didn't have my whole foot on the ground when it happened. instead, i was on just the balls of my right foot when a slight push from behind caused all my weight to collapse onto my ankle, making it roll.

tbh, it wasn't even that painful. i mean it hurt, but i've felt worse. i felt a pop when it happened which worried me. at first i thought i dislocated it or tore a ligament or something. however, i don't think it hurt enough to be either of those, and it didn't swell up immediately.

here are a few of the facts:

- it didn't swell up immediately.
-no swelling until the next day.
-a little bit of throbbing the day of the injury and the day after. (we had to do alot of walking)
-swelling lasted 4 days.
-i still have tenderness and bruising.
-walking is fine and doesn't hurt. same with going up stairs.
-doing air circles with my ankle is a little painful.
-stretching my calfs hurts a little.
-i've been completely resting from exercise since.

i figure its a sprain, but they usually swell up immediately. this one didn't swell up until 12 hours later. is there an ankle injury that does that?

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 19 Aug 2011, 06:10

It's not unusual for an ankle sprain to start swelling until the next day (according to a quick Google I just did).

It just sounds like a typical sprain. Do the usual R.I.C.E treatment and it should be sweet. The right thing to do would to go see a physio, but we already know it's a sprain, and you know what to do to fix it, so I don't see any reason to go through appointments and referrals just to be told something you already know.

Head up Scott, you'll be back in no time!
Everything you need, is already inside.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 26 Aug 2011, 16:09

its been 2 weeks now. most of the tenderness is gone as well as the swelling. i'm still not back to playing, but i can run and bike without it hurting and i can also juggle and do some light passing.

as i mentioned, running in a straight line is fine and doesn't hurt at all. the main reasons i still can't play are

-it hurts to kick a ball with my right foot
-i can still feel those little stabs of pain when i do lateral movements or anything that needs your ankle to be really mobile.
-the fastest i can run is at about 60% of my top speed.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 06 Sep 2011, 03:59

after 23 days its still not better.

http://www.musclemaximizerscam.com/why- ... urt-injury

this guy appears to have the exact same symptoms that i have. (he rolled his ankle and it didn't swell, he felt a painful pop, he was able to walk on it within minutes,)

i've done a lot of testing it and i'm really close to being able to play. i can run, jump, back pedal, skip, and do all sorts of soccer specific movements but i still can't play because it hurts to kick the ball with my right foot. passing with the side of my foot is ok, but shooting, chipping and crossing all cause a sharp pain in the outside of my ankle. another reason i still can't play is because even the slightest ankle roll would be painful.

even something as simple as sitting cross legged is too uncomfortable. what the hells going on?

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 06 Sep 2011, 07:32

Well it's getting better that's the main thing, I'd give it another 2 weeks, and if it's not at least nearly better by then, go see a physio
Everything you need, is already inside.